Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Gateway FX400X needs a win10 video card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

My current video card is a NVIDIA 6600. Windows 10 tells me it's not good enough. Does anyone know where I can buy a suitable video card for this model computer, which is about 10 years old. I have two hard drives in it now, one has Windows XP for stuff that Win. 7 cannot handle and the other one has Windows 7 of course. I really like this computer and might just keep it for another ten years. By the way, I did check on the Gateway site but they do not support this model at all. Just wanted to sell me a new computer.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 14 August 2015 - 05:48 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Building and upgrading'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:14 AM

According to Windows Compatibility Center the Geforce 6600 should work - Leadtek Geforce 6600 256mb - However they link to a download for a Windows 8 driver (Windows 10 specific driver unavailable for that card) so presumably it's not fully supported.

According to the Gateway site, your computer has a PCI Express bus so there are any number of video cards that will support Windows 10 and that should work with it.  The Geforce 6600 doesn't draw much power (about 30w under load from what I can find), so I'd suggest any replacement also was low powered to avoid possible issues there.  The AMD R7-240 (30w), the Geforce GT730 (23w in its 64 bit version) or the slightly cheaper and slower GT720 (19w) would seem reasonable choices which support the latest Direct X, and have W10 drivers ready.  It is quite an old computer now, but Windows 10 is generally a bit lighter and faster than Windows 7 - if you're happy with how it runs Windows 7 now, Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem either.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

What expansion slots do you have (pci, pci-e, etc.)

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

Thank you very much jonuk76. I had my video card out and saw that my motherboard  had a special slot for it, not a regular PCI slot, but you told me that that's a PCI expres slots. So that was very helpfull right there. And the three links you provided was extremely helpfull too. I hope replacing the video card will alow me to install Windows 10.

But the Gateway site mentioned that the BIOS might have to be updated to run Windows 10. So then if Gateway does not have an updated BIOS for my computer then I will have spent $50- $70 or more for nothing. Any thoughts on that?

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Has the Windows 10 compatibility checker run on your computer?  It *should* identify and list any compatibility issues.  If they don't offer an updated BIOS then I'm not sure how they suggest you update it?  BIOS updates are only released to fix specific problems generally, not to add support for operating systems.  Having had a quick browse of the Gateway site I can't find any for your Intel 945G motherboard.

A lot of slightly older machines than yours were prevented from running Windows 8 and later because of some specific CPU requirements (needed support for SSE2, NX Bit, PAE).  Your Pentium D has these, so I don't think that should be an issue.  EDIT there could be issues running the 64bit version of Windows 10 though, it may not run on that processor.

Edited by jonuk76, 15 August 2015 - 10:36 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

I see jonuk76. I assume that means that the free Windows 10 upgrade only comes in 64 Bit? I'm kind of thinking of buying a new computer and then keep my old one too just to be able to use my old stuff. By the way where do I get the Windows compatibility checker?

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

There is a Windows 10 32 bit version.  The version installed depends on the version of Windows 7 you're running.  If it's 64 bit, then the upgrade will be to a 64 bit version, if Windows 7 is 32 bit then the upgrade will be to, you've guessed it, the 32 bit version of Windows 10.

Some specific problems with 64bit on older machines first appeared on Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 x64 has basically the same hardware requirements.  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2058683/new-windows-8-1-requirements-strand-some-users-on-windows-8.html

Compatibility checker is part of the "Get Windows 10" application in the taskbar.  It background scans your PC and identifies anything it thinks is incompatible...

Fj4Ofxg.png

BnHX2yh.png

Also compatibility center is here for looking up hardware and applications https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home?

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

Well that's good to hear as I did install Windows 7 32 bit version on my Gateway, Now all I have to do is get the right video card. And then come back here, if I run into any problems with Windows 10. Thanks again jonuk76

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

No problem :)  Hope it works out OK!

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users