Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BS code 116 and GPU upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vorsybl

vorsybl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

Hi all,

I'm getting off work in 3 hours, and might have to buy a new GPU. After upgrading to windows 10 from 7, and playing a computer game, the computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows 7. I've updated the computer using windows update, but it keeps crashing and the screen goes black on whats supposed to be the welcome screen where you log in..... Windows says its error code 116.

I have the nVidia Geforce GTX550 1GB and its 4 yrs old. What card can I pick up at best buy as an upgrade? Or even the same caliber, for between 100-200? 700 W PSu btw THANK YOU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

that sounds really fishy to me.  Video driver conflicts will absolutely give you a BSOD, like very few other software conflicts can. That your GPU just happened to up and die after upgrading to a new OS (and that's a really new OS, not technically beta, but in reality, beta for the marketplace) is too much of a coincidence for my spidey senses.  I'd look at your graphics driver first.  And gaming will definitely tax the driver.  There are expected to be some driver conflicts with new OS's that just have to be sorted out.  You might roll back to an earlier driver, or at least check that a newer one didn't get installed with the OS update to 10.

if it were me I'd even check the VBIOS but you might not be up for that. (You could possibly do an update on that --> but screwing that up can break a video card so you want to be a little careful.)

The obvious tack I would take is that your graphics driver is corrupted and you need to reinstall or rollback to an earlier version. Did you do a clean Win 7 x 64 bit install? That would be the safest bet, load minimal drivers and your game and see if it works.  i've noticed already that the newest drivers that are out at the moment to support Win 10 compatibility have caused some problems with me in Windows 7 land until I have reinstalled older (more stable) drivers.  It's just to be expected with the rollout of any new OS.

if your heart is set on a new video card then just do a little research.  You can do really well online for that amount of money. the next questions of course are yes, power supply and can your system cool the card adequately.  Personally, I'm a big fan of incredible deals on ebay, though they are a bit more risky.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users