Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 just tried to install itself. How do I get rid of icon in tray?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justme4now

justme4now

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

I know someone already asked this but the instructions aren't detailed enough for me. Sorry, but the reason I'm here is because I don't know anything. It isn't helpful at all to be cryptic. :o

Windows was about to install itself (I HATE MS!!!), but I tricked it not to do it. Went into System Restore with minutes to spare. It had deleted all of them, but I was ab le to locate one I had created a couple of weeks ago. I restored it to that point, it was successful, but I am now afraid to leave my computer because the damn thing is probably going to try again while I'm not looking.

Aura, how do I do this? When I inserted the snippet of code you indicated to warthog I got the result he did. All I did was type in the code, then hit enter. Then it went wrong. How do I do this correctly?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

What don't you understand in the commands below?

rONW46K.pngUninstall a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to uninstall a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    • wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583
  • Let me know the outcome of the command: either it uninstall the update or either it says that the update isn't installed on the system;
What do you mean by "it went wrong"?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 justme4now

justme4now
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

Look at thumbnail warthog posted after he tried this for the first time. That's the exact thing i got. You then told him he did it wrong, he knew immediately HOW he did it wrong and proceeded to try it the right way and it worked. Great for him, but that doesn't help me since I do not know how he corrected what he did wrong.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

It's probably because you're still not entering the command properly. Copy/paste it in your command prompt, that'll work.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users