Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting sound from my computer speakers but not through output jack.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maineboy64

maineboy64

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

OK, so here's the deal: I have a G61 HP notebook pc running Windows 7.  A few weeks ago I noticed that sound was not coming out of my earphones plugged into the output jack at the front of the computer.  The sound only emanates from the inbuilt computer speakers, even when the earphones are plugged into the output jack.  Also none of the 3 lights on the front of my computer work.  The 3 lights are: Power Light; Battery Light; and Drive Light.  Anyone help?

I have run a Windows update and all drivers are current.  I have also put the microphone setting in Sound to default but still the problem persists.  I did have some work done on the computer a few weeks ago and the problem may originate from that.  The first work that was done by a technician was to put in a new fan in.  The second thing that I did was to buy a new original HP battery so that my battery would always be at 100%.  Before I had a battery that was a copy and therefore unreliable.  Battery works fine now and the icon always says fully charged.

Any of you wiz kids out there throw some light on all this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Although I really don't consider myself a 'kid' anymore I'll go ahead and put my 2cents in.  If your sound worked before you took it to the technician and now it doesn't and the lights on the front don't work but you really don't specify if they worked before you took it to a technician then it could be something did not get reconnected correctly during the fan change process.  But since you waited ' a few weeks' to ' discover ' it.  I am not sure if the 'technician' you speak of has any responsibility towards fixing it or not.  I realize that most people don't take their computer in to a technician only to find something broken weeks later because they simply did not use it, however - you should.  I am not sure what your looking for here.  It doesn't 'sound' (pardon the pun) like a software problem if it worked a few weeks ago and now doesn't. I also don't know if your looking for justification on taking it back to the technician.  Because honestly after a few weeks he would not know if 'you' did something to it but you could certainly ask them to check it out.  Whether they charge you or not is going to be a question of their business policy.

#3 maineboy64

maineboy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:43 PM

The technician that fixed my fan is fine.  No problem with him and I'm quite happy to take it back.  If he does charge me to fix it then no probs.  What I really want to know is there anything else I can try before I do take it back to the Computer Clinic?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Did the lights work on the front before you took it in?  Are the headphones your using known good?  You can try another set of headphones.  I wouldn't mess with drivers or anything if the only thing that ' changed ' recently was a battery ... and an internal fan. Sounds DO work but for some reason your jack is not being detected.

#5 maineboy64

maineboy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

I can't actually remember the point where I lost the sound: it was either before the work was done on the fan or before I installed the new battery, so both issue could be suspect.  I've tried using other earphones but still got no sound.  

One other thing I should say is that after the work was done on the fan, a few keys on the keyboard stopped working.  Magically however the 4 problem keys were working fine a few days later.  I put it down to a driver update but I could be wrong.  There seems to be a ghost in these damned machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users