Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Explorer.exe crashes spontaneously Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mafia-Hitman

Mafia-Hitman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:42 AM

• Here is what I get from the explorer.exe crash log
  • Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
  • Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  • Application Name: explorer.exe
  • Application Version: 10.0.10240.16405
  • Application Timestamp: 55b4596f
  • Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
  • Fault Module Version: 10.0.10240.16430
  • Fault Module Timestamp: 55c59f92
  • Exception Code: c000041d
  • Exception Offset: 000000000002ed22
  • OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.256.48
  • Locale ID: 1033
  • Additional Information 1: 0c8c
  • Additional Information 2: 0c8c073a3c30d65fd484120dd9833187
  • Additional Information 3: ff1d Additional Information 4: ff1d897378715afa840cdec1894dab0b
  • Extra information about the problem Bucket ID: 84f95421357210bb7ab60552489e5bd0 (120296599477)
  •  
  • AS WELL AS THIS LOG
  •  
  • Description Faulting
  • Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
  • Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  • Application Name: Explorer.EXE
  • Application Version: 10.0.10240.16405
  • Application Timestamp: 55b4596f
  • Fault Module Name: windows.storage.dll
  • Fault Module Version: 10.0.10240.16405
  • Fault Module Timestamp: 55b46055
  • Exception Code: c00000fd
  • Exception Offset: 00000000001c57d7
  • OS Version: 10.0.10240.2.0.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033
  • Additional Information 1: a492
  • Additional Information 2: a4927ffd23357a88dcbd704646114a3e
  • Additional Information 3: f993 Additional Information 4: f993587ce0a028d13a4f82e5efbf824c
  •  
  • Extra information about the problem Bucket ID: cdb42002e5de837d68b77e86521c462f (120285145982)
  •  
  • I can no longer Move files using File Explorer without it crashing i also can open files but after the file opens File explorer crashes I can move folders but File explorer will crash before it is done moving all files in the folder and it doesnt matter where the item is located.....even making a text file and moving it from My Documents to the desktop causes it to crash
  •  
  • Things I have tried
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  • SFC /SCANNOW
  • Disabled All explorer.exe plugins and extensions using the AUTORUNS program from microsoft
  • Clean Boot
  • TAKOWN /F on all drives
  • Memory scans
  • Drive scans
  • Ran one stop fix from Bleeping computer in safe mode
  • Microsoft technical support all the way to Tier 2 who couldn't find the problem and suggested a clean install (this isn't an upgrade BTW its a clean install)
  • I have removed all installed programs to the point the installed program list was empty and the problem persisted I Also tried the Context Menu fix from Nirsoft to disable all context menus Made a new user account (this works) but I want to be able to use my account
  •  
  • I did a clean install and the problem went away until today when i noticed it was back again after i downloaded a large ISO file and opened it with 7zip and then tried to transfer it to my D: drive (I have deleted the ISO and it is still persisting
  •  
  • System I am running
  • Asus X99 Motherboard updated to latest Bios
  • I7 5820k Processor
  • EVGA GTX 980 SC
  • graphics Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 (16Gb) Ram
  • Samsung 850 Pro 250gb SSD
  • WD Black 1 TB storage
  • Synology NAS over network
  •  
  • Programs currently installed
  •  
  • Nod 32 System Security 9 Beta (was running Nod 32 8 on last install and still had problem)
  • Adobe Cloud, Photoshop, Lightroom
  • Rainmeter
  • Rocketdock
  • MSI Afterburner (had problem on previous install without having this program)
  • VMware (had problem on previous install without having this program)
  • 7zip
  •  
  • I made a new user account and the problem goes away with this account but I want to to know what keeps causing this issue so I can stop it or fix it
  •  
  • When I open a drive I notice that File explorer opens 2 instances sometimes....and that's when i know I am going to have problems....the issue is very Sporadic I cant key in on what exactly is causing the issue just that sometimes it is stable...sometimes its not
  •  
  • I need help with this issue badly because I have been through 3 clean installs already and it keeps happening I can move files now...but tomorow probably not...I cant open jpegs in file explorer I cant open audio files I cant open Zip files anymore using windows explorer I have to use 7zip

The strange thing is today I was having the issue again but after just ignoring it and browsing for like an hour the problem was gone again....I am sure it will be back with a restart though

I have tried everything...please help..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

Try to mitigate the crashing:

Go to View tab and click on Options > Change file and folder options

Then in the Change file and folder options, go to view

Turn on "Launch folder windows in a seperate process"

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Mafia-Hitman

Mafia-Hitman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

Try to mitigate the crashing:

Go to View tab and click on Options > Change file and folder options

Then in the Change file and folder options, go to view

Turn on "Launch folder windows in a seperate process"

This keeps the File Explorer from crashing thankfully but the desktop still crashes and restarts but it isnt killing file explorer at least......now how do I stop explorer.exe from crashing? any advice?

#4 Mafia-Hitman

Mafia-Hitman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

The tool from this site did find these Prase point issues but cant fix them as they keep showing up on every scan

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\ProgramData\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\ProgramData) (Creation Time: 7/10/2015 5:21:38 AM)
Infinite Loop! Points back to a parent folder. I was able to access the original path folder contents, which means it creates an infinite loop.

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 7/10/2015 5:21:38 AM)
Infinite Loop! Points back to a parent folder. I was able to access the original path folder contents, which means it creates an infinite loop.

Reparse Point: (Type: JUNCTION) (Name: Application Data) (Original Path: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local) (Creation Time: 8/9/2015 12:05:45 AM)

Problems were found with the Reparse Points.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hi,

The tool from this site did find these Prase point issues but cant fix them as they keep showing up on every scan

Which tool?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 Mafia-Hitman

Mafia-Hitman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi,

Which tool?

Windows repair tool

I went ahead and bought the pro version because I liked the look of the tweaks and I am not sure which tweak it was but it seemed to of fixed my problem....I just wish I knew what it was lol

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

Yes, its an issue with Windows 10 with file permissions, which I manually fixed on  my computer when I upgraded. It crashes the shell.

Edited by CKing123, 14 August 2015 - 01:25 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#8 Mafia-Hitman

Mafia-Hitman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Yes, its an issue with Windows 10 with file permissions, which I manually fixed on  my computer when I upgraded. It crashes the shell.

Would you mind posting a step by step for this fix just incase someone finds this thread while googling for the issue and has another option besides purchasing some software like i did?

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

Would you mind posting a step by step for this fix just incase someone finds this thread while googling for the issue and has another option besides purchasing some software like i did?

Apparently, the Windows 10 Installer does not properly manage permissions. If you do not want to lose customized permissions, the use Event Viewer, and it will state which folder is causing the issue.

You do not need to purchase Windows Repair to be able to fix it. In the repairs, there is repair file permissions. I recommend it, as you do not have to do anything. If you modified many permissions, and want to keep them, then don't use Windows Repair, and instead do this:

Open the properties of the folder, and go to security.

Check who is the owner, if you are not the owner of the folder, then log into the owner of the folder (if you are not the owner, and you do not open the folder, explorer will not crash).

Add yourself and give yourself full control (it is the bug where you are the owner, but you are not listed in the group)

Reboot to make sure explorer is not crashing.

If you are having difficulty trying to make the explorer window remain open, then turn on "Launch folder windows in a seperate process"

Edited by CKing123, 14 August 2015 - 03:40 PM.

Github | Keybase

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

@ CKing123...G'day and :welcome: to BC.

Great advice you have offered there. Stay a while !

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Condobloke!

Github | Keybase

#12 dotmatrix48

dotmatrix48

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

Thanks it worked for me. Appreciate your help.

#13 RepairSpark

RepairSpark

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

I figured a solution that worked for me. I had to uninstall Autodesk Inventor 2010.

There were two DLL's that were causing explorer.exe to crash. These were C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\Bin\utx.dll and C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\Bin\rse.dll.

Since I don't use Autodesk Inventor 2010, I just uninstalled the program but for those who do, try deleting the DLL's or renaming them.

I had to use the process monitor method, to figure out that Inventor 2010 was causing the problem. Hope this helps others out.

Edited by RepairSpark, 06 September 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

I figured a solution that worked for me. I had to uninstall Autodesk Inventor 2010.

There were two DLL's that were causing explorer.exe to crash. These were C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\Bin\utx.dll and C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\Bin\rse.dll.

Since I don't use Autodesk Inventor 2010, I just uninstalled the program but for those who do, try deleting the DLL's or renaming them.

I had to use the process monitor method, to figure out that Inventor 2010 was causing the problem. Hope this helps others out.

Thanks for letting us know :)

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#15 husbutt

husbutt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

I'm having the exact same problem Mafia-Hitman was having.  My Explorer.exe is crashing once every minute. The desktop goes black for a couple of seconds and my CPU goes to 100%.    In the event log I can see it happening every 60 seconds. I did many the of the same things he did to try to fix, like the Scannow, and DISMs.  The last thing I did was the Windows Repair Tool.  I followed all the steps, and when it finished and after a reboot it appeared things were fixed.  I came back a couple of hours later and the crashes were back!  Very annoying.

My next step was going to be to try the permissions changes CKing123 was suggesting but I have a couple of questions:

- When you say go to the properties of the folder, do you mean C:\Windows, since that's where explorer.exe resides?

- How do I know if I'm the "Owner" of the folder?  I see 6 or 7 names listed, including New User, which I how I'm logged in.  Sounds like I need to log in as whoever is the Owner, correct?

Please let me know if I should post any logs.

Thanks much for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users