Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP gets past the logo screen and then turns the screen black/bluescreen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

I am encountering an issue of when the Dell optiplex 755 boots up, it boots through the Windows XP logo just fine, once it tries to transition between the logo and loading the system up, it just shows a black screen and nothing else happens. I tried using a bootable Windows XP flash drive to repair the system files and it loads the Windows XP setup ok but when it runs through all of the commands on the bottom of the screen and the last one says "Starting Windows" , it takes me to a blue screen (screenshot below). I have HIRENS and have done a lot of the chkdsk commands to fix the files and everything comes back ok. I tried to clone the hard drive with the same exact hard drive and still the same issue. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN130053/EN#Error , scroll down to section on STOP 7B errors.

Louis

#3 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

Can you launch from what it says below from the Hirens Boot CD or Ultimate Boot since when I try to load it from the Windows XP Setup Disc, it bluescreens?

Replacing the SATA power and data cable help?

I have done pretty much everything else on this list.

Improperly configured BOOT.INI (Windows XP). If you have inadvertently erased or tinkered with the boot.ini file, you may receive stop code 0x7B during the startup process. Launch the recovery console from the Windows installation disc and run BOOTCFG /REBUILD

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

The reason you are getting that BSOD is because XP does not have native Sata Mass Storage Drivers. Hiren's boots because it includes the Sata drivers. A workaround is to enter BIOS and change your mode form AHCI/SATA to IDE but this will result in slower disk access. I went through this with another poster and could not get the XP install disk to boot past the 0x7B BSOD even though I linked to what I thought were the correct drivers.

There is a nuclear option where you would slipstream the Chipset and Mass Storage drivers from multiple OEM's using DriverPack. After the slipstream your iso may be bigger than a standard CD so you would need to burn to a DVD or use a program called Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

#5 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for your help guys. @JohnC_21, Once I create the slipstream usb bootable flash drive and if the Windows XP setup boots up ok, can I should repair the operating system or do you believe I need to do a complete reinstall of Windows XP? Also do you think I should download all of the Chipset and Mass Storage Drivers dealing with Windows XP or if I download this DriverPack Mass Storage 12.09 for Windows 2000/XP/2003 (x86) one, I should be ok to slipstream into Windows XP?

Thanks for your help thus far.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,036 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

That would be the Mass Storage driver I would download along with DriverPack Chipset 12.09 for Windows 2000/XP/2003 (x86).

When you tap F8 at boot have you tried using the Last Known Good Configuration Option?

You can do a repair install with the XP disk but I believe it should have the same service pack as what you currently have which is should be SP3. You can use Nlite to slipstream the service pack before using the DriverPack utility if your install disk is not SP3. Personally, I would backup  your important data and do a clean install. This would depend on getting XP to boot without the 0x7B BSOD which should work after slipstreaming the chipset and mass storage drivers..

Have you tried changing the Mode in BIOS from AHCI to IDE to see if the computer boots?

Using the Hirens disk you could replace the registry hives in C:\Windows\System32\config with ones from a System Restore Point using this guide.

As you undoubtedly know, there are no more security updates for XP. Depending on what you use the computer for, you may want to take a look at a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint.

#7 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the help. I went through the entire tutorial for driverpack http://driverpacks.net/docs and created a slip stream within a Windows XP SP3 installation but unfortuantely when I use Rufus to burn the ISO to a USB Bootable flash drive, it says it is not a bootable ISO. I used MagicISO to make it bootable by using this boot.ima file and Rufus still says it is not a bootable ISO.

Any suggestions of how to make it a bootable ISO?

Thanks Much.

Brad

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,036 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

I assume you used this guide to make the iso bootable. Did MagicISO say the disk was bootable after using boot.ima? If not then use the XP boot sector file here instead of boot.ima. Does this work with MagicISO? I am not familiar with it as I use PowerISO but does MagicISO allow you to pull the boot sector file from a disk. If it does, use your bootable XP install disk to pull this file. I may be able to find a WIndows XP .ima boot sector file if you need it and the one I linked to does not work.

If you still cannot get Rufus to work then try the WinsetupFromUSB method.

Another is Yumi. You would select XP install under Other OS /tools. Running it is similar to WinsetupFromUSB. The install is done in stages.

Since version 0.0.7.6, YUMI supports Windows XP Install from USB via ISO.
The Windows XP Installation from USB option currently works by booting directly from your XP ISO, hence the YUMI menu entry is created under "Directly Bootable ISOs". In order for the Windows XP installation to succeed, you must perform the following steps;
1.) To begin an install, select (Stage 1)
2.) Upon first reboot, you must select (Stage 2)
3.) Finally, after (Stage 2) is complete – upon the second reboot, select (Stage 3) to boot the drive where you installed Windows XP. If this option fails, simply remove the USB and reboot!

Your ISO file name must contain no spaces.

#9 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

Just tried burning the Win XP with the boot file that you provided the link before and it will not burn through Rufus.

MagicISO will not allow you to pulll the boot sector file from the disk unfortunately.

I will try WinsetupFromUSB to see if it will work.

#10 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

I have tried all of the options you mentioned above, the win xp does start up but it still blue screens with my original screenshot.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,036 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

The only thing I can recommend is to change the mode in BIOS from SATA/AHCI to IDE. I don't understand what it is with some Dell's refusing to boot a XP install disk, giving that 0x7B error. Booting Hirens, there is a utility called CPU-z under System Information Tools. Running that and looking under the motherboard tab should give the chipset used. From that I could possibly look up the Mass Storage Driver.

When you look under BIOS, is it set to RAID or SATA/AHCI?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 August 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#12 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Yeah I am not sure why either. Convincing my client to get a computer with Win7 Professional and dump the data onto it. Is there a way to move over the Win XP Programs that were on the hard drive to the new tower? That is providing that they will work with Win7.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,036 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

I just found this thread on your computer. I will need to look at it a bit further but it seems getting the drivers was proving difficult for the OP. Does the computer have a floppy drive?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/18672934

I know of now way to move programs other than a program called laplink which I have no experience with but was stated by a poster here that it worked for them. Edit: This can only be done if you somehow are able to do an inplace repair install.

Edit: I think this is your SATA driver. STOR_all32_f6flpy32_8.7.0.1007_PV.zip The inf shows as having the ICH9D0 supported.  You would need to unzip them to a floppy and press F6 during install or slipstream them into your install disk using nlite.

Here is a guide using nlite. When you get to the Window on selecting the chipset, select everything. I would do this using your untouched XP install disk. I noticed in the thread you need to set the mode to RAID Autodetect /ATA. Did this computer have a RAID setup. If you do a clean install you may want to break the RAID and keep it simple.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 August 2015 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users