Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technology illiteracy & self esteem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Hello BC.

There's something I wanted to discus for a while now and that's peoples self esteem when it comes to technology, I've always noticed people who are ignorant about technology lack confidence towards there tech skills and of course some this is because they know there ignorant but attitude diffidently plays role here. And if you always tell yourself your not capable then your are by default, and not because there incapable of learning but there attitude is limiting there capability to learn.

My point here what can we do to help people with self esteem/attitudes about there tech skills?

Edited by SuperSapien64, 14 August 2015 - 10:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

I can't help but wonder at the amount of information available in todays community colleges.  Libraries abound with tutorial manuals and DIY guides.  All that's needed is the will to learn.  Some, especially older generations (like me) feel it isn't really needed, they got this far without those things todays generations take for granted.   I learned at an early age and remain engrossed with anything electronic or mechanical.  Many don't feel the need nor the interest and if that's okay with them, then I'm okay too.  We all aspire to our own goals and milestones, many retired people feel they have attained their pinnacle and it's time to rest and enjoy their fruits. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

Recognising that you do not know something is the first step on the road to doing something about it. I am a member of a group who provides instruction on an informal basis to a mainly older audience who wish to learn how to use tablets and laptops and we haven't run out of students yet.

Techno fear certainly exists but can be overcome if someone wants to.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

Regarding "Libraries abound with tutorial manuals and DIY guides..." in post #2.

Helpful as manuals and DIY guides can be those for computers and computing related matters don't saty the same for long, they date very quickly so those you find in libraries are often to old to be of use. It would seem that the best place for looking for tutorials/guides/manuals for computers and the internet is on the internet itself. Unfortunately that does make it a tricky initial barrier for new users to cross.

Ofcourse one of the key problems thesedays is that computers are becoming more and more tablet like, so while someone can learn the basics quicker than in the pat they will now find themselves knowing the basics but stuck and unable to move onto the more advanced things required to actually get anything done, oversimplified "big buttons, no functions" interfaces, app (rather than program) based software and systems which do everything behind the users back without ever involving them in what is going on( "like magic") are a threat which could stop users ever getting beyond being a beginner.

Edited by rp88, 15 August 2015 - 10:12 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Yeah I used to wright my brother tutorials for his Android phone but he never used them or worse he would delete/through them out. So instead I tried to gradually change his attitude overtime it helped he isn't so codependent on me anymore but he still has the habit of panicking whenever he messes up something like with his TV remote he accidentally changed his TV input to OTA and he wanted it on his Ruko so I showed him where the input button is on his remote he then figured the rest out himself.

And to be honest I'm not that savvy with computer hardware but I'm sure I'll learn overtime I'm also still learning Linux. I mean you have to work within your limitations in order to surpass them. :wink:

I agree rp88 that's why don't like Windows 10 not enough control to acclimate people to more advanced OS features.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 15 August 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#6 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Except for a few tech school classes after high school I basically taught myself everything I know about every computer I ever used and every program I ever used.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users