Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get rid of the Windows 10 Upgrade icon in my System Tray...???

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Like most of us, I got the little Windows 10 Upgrade icon in my System Tray a while back. Just before the upgrade was released, I opened it and was told that my PC was ready for the upgrade. Now if I open the icon, I just get a white window with the little "busy circle" going around and around and the message "Please Wait".  I've let it run for over an hour and nothing every changes.

I don't plan on upgrading to Windows 10, so I can do without this icon. How do I get rid of it, especially since it seems like it no longer works?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi Warthog-Fan :)

You can get rid of the "Get Windows 10" app by uninstalling the KB3035583 that installed it.

rONW46K.pngUninstall a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to uninstall a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    • wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583
  • Let me know the outcome of the command: either it uninstall the update or either it says that the update isn't installed on the system;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

Aura,

Unfortunately, it did not do either of the things that you expected. It basically seemed to display a "Help" screen. Here is a screenshot of what I got:

Attached Files

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

You didn't enter the command properly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

Okay, after entering the command properly, it went through the Uninstall process and then I rebooted the computer. The icon is now gone. Thanks for  the help.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

No problem Warthog, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#7 Eddie7

Eddie7

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

I must say... and again, Aura saves the day. :thumbup2:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Well it wasn't that hard :P Dealt with it many times already.

unite_blue.png

#9 justme4now

justme4now

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hello - I hope somebody sees this. I have the exact same problem, and I got the result warthog did the first time around. Unfortunately, I don't know how to enter the code "properly." Can someone please elaborate what exactly it means? I entered the text into the black text box. Is there something I need to type at the end of that snipped so that it closes the command? If so, what is it?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

Once you entered the command, you just need to press on Enter to send it and trigger the uninstall.

unite_blue.png

#11 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

Is the update number the same for Windows 7 Home and it is for Windows 7 Pro? I'd like to get rid of the icon on my laptop as well.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

The update number is the same for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

unite_blue.png

#13 justme4now

justme4now

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

I did press enter. That's when I got what he showed in the thumbnail. And I am the administrator. So, I don't know what else to do. I tried it 3 times already with the same result.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

Enter the command, then take a screenshot of it and show me it.

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png

#15 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

Did you use the elevated command prompt. The one marked admin, It seems to work only in that if you are running windows 8 or higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users