Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new computer for my studies and gaming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sick0ne

Sick0ne

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a new laptop.

Purchase Template:

Laptop or Desktop?

Laptop.

My budget for the new computer is: 

Around 1500€.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

Gaming and programming.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

Various games, programming software (codeblocks), game development environments (Unity), occasionally Photoshop and video editing software (Adobe Premiere).

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

I play various games. Mostly MOBA games such as League of Legends, but I often play new AAA titles, the most recent being The Witcher 3.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

I usually use two monitors and leave my browser and music player on while playing games or doing work and close all other programs.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

I store quite a bit of music, but leave my pictures on external drives.

Will you be overclocking?

Depends on how the software I use will be running. If the performance is going to be subpar, I will try to improve it by overclocking, if at all possible.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Any shop in Europe would probably be ok, since my current residence is in Slovenia.

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?

No. I would prefer a computer with no OS.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I need a laptop, as I am moving to study at an university.

So I've been looking a bit and the best offer I could find was:

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90588672-57677/msi-gs70-2qe16h11.asp

However I have no experience in buying used computers, so any input would be good.

Thanks in advance for all your reccommendations!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

Are you going to install Linux? I do not know about Europe, but here in the United States there are very few laptops without an OS pre-installed. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Sick0ne

Sick0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

No, I am able to get a free copy of Windows, aswell as Office from my university, so I would like to have a computer without an OS, as it increases the price.

Edited by Sick0ne, 14 August 2015 - 10:12 AM.

#4 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

I have almost that same version of laptop except the GE60 and it runs any I throw at it without any issues.  It just gets a little warm after a while.  I play pretty much all the things mostly blizzard games tho.  That one even has a little better GPU in it.  Same processor!

utl8q0-5.png

#5 Sick0ne

Sick0ne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

Another question I have is, how large is the impact of the quality of your processor when dealing with tasks mentioned above?

The computer linked above is of the GE70 series which usually has the i7-4120 HQ processor. If I were to buy one of the GE72 series it would cost me probably about 100€ more, but I would get the i7-5700 HQ processor, while the other specs would stay the same.

Looking at the benchmarks, there is a supposedly 10% increase in processor performance when upgrading. I would like to however know how much of an impact that would have when I'm gaming or developing software in various environments?

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

When talking computers' and processing and performance 10% is actually a pretty noticeable difference.   But then you ask .. what will I see when I am using my programs.  Really it is hard to say.  You know you wont see much of a difference while browsing or running basic applications.  But if you plan on running some of the newer DX12 games and doing some Rendering or intensive cpu applications like Handbrake... then you will probably notice instead of a process taking 20 minutes it could only take 10.  For 100.00 when your already talking about spending thousand or more.... the obvious choice (to me) is obvious.

#7 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

IMO I do not think that a 10% increase will be a huge notice in the application that you are going to be using.  However as YeahBleeping noted for only 100 more I would go for the better!

utl8q0-5.png

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:26 AM

Buy an ASUS.  They have a "Gaming" family & others, as well... pick the one best suiting you.

ASUS.com

Edited by Drew1903, 16 August 2015 - 02:26 AM.

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:08 PM

I just bought a sager 8258 laptop with very similar specs (still waiting on it to get here!). The 970M GPU should last a decent amount of time. The 10% increase in the upgraded CPU is really personal preference. A day to day basis you aren't gonna notice it. Maybe as the laptop gets older the better CPU will make a bit of a difference. Its up to you if the 100 is worth it or not. I'd probably just take the CPU that is in there and save the money.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users