Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Elements External Drive USB Not Recognized on Windows 7 - Possibly infected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eriolclow

eriolclow

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:51 AM

Hi. Not sure if I should be posting this here or in the malware forum, but I figured I'd start here since I'm not yet sure if my drive is infected or not.

My WD Elements drive (USB 2.0) is showing the "USB not recognized" error when I plug it into a Windows 7 laptop. Have tried it in on two separate Windows 7 laptops, but the specs I attached are for the one that is currently on hand.

Anyway, the last time this drive was used, I had lent it to a friend to copy some files. When it was returned, I plugged it in and noticed that I couldn't access my files unless I checked the "show hidden files and folders" on my computer's settings. Autorun wasn't working, and I didn't get the pop up to "view files and folders" like I usually do, which was why I had to try different things before I came upon the check show hidden files fix.

My folders now had that little arrow that is used to denote a windows shortcut, and I remember that I had this same problem before but on an older laptop, though I was able to clean it with the help of this forum and another friend.

This method worked fine for a while, but now I can't even get the laptop to recognize the drive. I had been using Windows XP before, and switched to Windows 7 recently. 

The drive isn't showing in device manager at all, but devices and printers (screencap attached) shows an "unknown device" which I suspect is actually my external drive.

Anyway, just wanted to ask if the issue is with Windows 7, or if the possibility that my drive was infected is more likely, considering the sudden appearance of those little arrows. Whichever option it is though, what steps can I take to fix the problem? I didn't want to repeat the steps I did during the last problem I had, because I wasn't sure if it was the same issue of not.

P.S. I do not have access to a working Windows XP laptop anymore. My XP laptop still starts but it is now rather slow and frustrating to use, so I couldn't check the drive on the older laptop to see if this problem is isolated to W7.

Attached Files

Edited by eriolclow, 14 August 2015 - 02:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

With the WD drive connected please post a screenshot of Disk Management. Computer > Right Click > Manage. Is the disk listed as RAW?

#3 eriolclow

eriolclow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:26 PM

Hi. Haven't done the screencap yet, but the drive isn't showing in disc management at all...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

With the WD drive attached open an elevated command prompt. CMD > Right Click Run As Administrator. Type the following.

diskpart

list disk

Do you see the WD drive listed? 

Have you tried another cable? Do you have a model number of the WD. Is it a portable?

#5 eriolclow

eriolclow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

Hi. The drive isn't showing with list disk either. :(

The Model number is WDBABV500ABK-00

The only other cables I have here that fit are the cables for my mobile phone, I tried those but they didn't work either.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

I could not find anything on that model number. I am assuming this is a small portable drive, correct? Unfortunately WD has integrated the USB bridge card and PCB of the drive together on their portable drives so you cannot remove the drive and put it in an external enclosure.

You could try booting a small linux distro and see if it can see the drive where Windows failed but I think you will find that is does not detect the drive either. Download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. At the Parted Magic desktop attach the drive. Then click on the drive icon in the task bar to mount the drive.

Here is a guide showing how to mount the drive. You can also check if the drive is detected by left clicking on the monitor in the taskbar with the prompt and typing this command.

fdisk -l    or

lsblk

Edit: It is getting late here and I will be gone until tomorrow morning.

Another linux terminal command would be

lshw -class disk

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 August 2015 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users