Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

horizontal squiggly lines then BSOD-dell inspiron all in one desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel1786

Rachel1786

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

I wasn't able to read what it says before the computer restarted.

Little back story, the computer had started running loudly which escalated to making a noise that almost sounded like grinding(or a piece of cardboard stuck in the fan). Couldn't figure it out so I gave up, last time I used it was January, but between last August and then it was only sporadic usage. A few weeks ago I turned it on again and there has been no abnormal noises, and out of no where I get the BSOD, computer still seems to be running fine.

Going to bed now, but will be on tomorrow afternoon to run any scans or give and needed info.

Thanks in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? 7
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 64
· What was original installed OS on system? 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? pre-installed
· Age of system (hardware)? can't remember, maybe 3 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? original installation

· CPU-unknown
· Video Card-unknown
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)-unknown
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)-unknown

· System Manufacturer-dell
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)- Inspiron ONE2305

· Laptop or Desktop? all in one desktop

Attached Files

#4 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

Don't know if this is helpful, but it's the recordings from cpuid monitor

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:24 AM

Temperatures don't seem bad.

No sign of BSOD's/memory dumps.  Did you actually see a BSOD?

If you did see a BSOD, then it's likely that the event occurred below the ability of Windows to see it.

This can occur early in the boot process, or with hardware issues (such as overheating).

There's no sign of hardware issues in the Admin log file (I also checked the System logfile in the Sysnative report upload).

I look for Critical level events, then look for those events that don't have any distinctive pattern.  Your system had no Critical events.

It is possible for a hardware event to occur so quickly that Windows doesn't detect it - but that doesn't happen very often (and it is very difficult to troubleshoot).

Let's have a look at the events here:  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\

Zip up the contents of the folder and upload it here (if it's too large you may have to upload it to a free file-hosting service such as OneDrive or DropBox).

If it's still too large (over 1gB or so), we may have to sort through it in order to extract the proper stuff.

Then, when that's all done, we may also need to look at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\ in order to find any other significant reports.

Hmmm.....let's start by seeing what the size is of those 2 folders:

- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\ - on my system there's nothing in this folder.  On your system there should be files that start with the word Kernel

- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\ - on my system this folder is very small (202 kB), and has nothing but WER reports (which may/may not be useful to us)

So, let's proceed with the BSOD troubleshooting and see what happens.........

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A07) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Beyond the problems that we have discussed, the system appears remarkably free of problems.

I'd have to suggest that you wait for a repeat of the BSOD event (while continuing to run the CPUID Monitor program)

1)  Please make a note if the temps reach/exceed 90º C

2)  If the system crashes/BSOD's - please reboot as soon as you can and then generate a new set of reports.

3)  Please note the system time (as best as you can) when this occurs - and about how long it was from the time of the crash until you generated the reports.  This'll help us to narrow down the items that we have to look at in the reports.

Beyond this I have these 4 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, Win7 compatible updates from the manufacturer's website.
3.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
4.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

FYI - Driver Verifier is intended to cause a BSOD

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Temperatures don't seem bad.

No sign of BSOD's/memory dumps.  Did you actually see a BSOD?

If you did see a BSOD, then it's likely that the event occurred below the ability of Windows to see it.

This can occur early in the boot process, or with hardware issues (such as overheating).

There's no sign of hardware issues in the Admin log file (I also checked the System logfile in the Sysnative report upload).

I look for Critical level events, then look for those events that don't have any distinctive pattern.  Your system had no Critical events.

It is possible for a hardware event to occur so quickly that Windows doesn't detect it - but that doesn't happen very often (and it is very difficult to troubleshoot).

Let's have a look at the events here:  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\

Zip up the contents of the folder and upload it here (if it's too large you may have to upload it to a free file-hosting service such as OneDrive or DropBox).

If it's still too large (over 1gB or so), we may have to sort through it in order to extract the proper stuff.

Then, when that's all done, we may also need to look at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\ in order to find any other significant reports.

Hmmm.....let's start by seeing what the size is of those 2 folders:

- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\ - on my system there's nothing in this folder.  On your system there should be files that start with the word Kernel

- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\ - on my system this folder is very small (202 kB), and has nothing but WER reports (which may/may not be useful to us)

So, let's proceed with the BSOD troubleshooting and see what happens.........

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A07) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Beyond the problems that we have discussed, the system appears remarkably free of problems.

I'd have to suggest that you wait for a repeat of the BSOD event (while continuing to run the CPUID Monitor program)

1)  Please make a note if the temps reach/exceed 90º C

2)  If the system crashes/BSOD's - please reboot as soon as you can and then generate a new set of reports.

3)  Please note the system time (as best as you can) when this occurs - and about how long it was from the time of the crash until you generated the reports.  This'll help us to narrow down the items that we have to look at in the reports.

Beyond this I have these 4 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, Win7 compatible updates from the manufacturer's website.
3.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
4.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

FYI - Driver Verifier is intended to cause a BSOD

I did see the BSOD, it happened probably 10(no more then 20) minutes before I posted this(so 8/14 @ about 12:40AM)

The report Queue folder was empty, but there were a lot in the archive, which I zipped up and will attach.

I ran the driver verifer with no crashes(actually forgot to turn it off so it ran for about 3 days lol)

To check for UEFI/BIOS updates would I go to the Dell website?

All windows updates should be up to date, when I first started using the computer again a few weeks ago there were like 70 of them, but I will check again.

I'll run the hardware diagnostic as soon as I post this.

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:37 AM

Yes, check for BIOS/UEFI updates at the Dell website.

The ReportArchive upload has about 80 folders, and nearly all of the have nothing in them.

The 2 Kernel folders (the one's we'd expect to find BSOD memory dumps in) are empty.

Please follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

Please let us know the results of the hardware diagnostics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users