Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost photos on hard drive, but space is still taken up??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StephanBlake

StephanBlake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:30 PM

I recently took photos off of a laptop hard drive by connecting it to my pc. That part went fine. Next i put the hard drive back into the laptop and did a fresh install of windows 10. When that was done, i took the hard drive back out and hooked it up to my pc and successfully transfered photos back to laptop hard drive, specifically the desktop and disconnected the drive put it back in the laptop and started it up and photos were gone and cannot be found. But the hard drive has 88GB used up on fresh install. So something tells me they are there, but are they accessable? Please help and thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StephanBlake

StephanBlake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

Hello???? Anyone???

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

I am assuming the photos are no longer on the desktop. Download WindirStat. This will show how disk space is being used. Did you do a search in 10 for photos?

#4 StephanBlake

StephanBlake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

Hey just want to say thanks for the right direction with windirstat. I retrieved my lost photos and want to say THANK YOU! They were in a folder labeled found.001. The only way I was able to retrieve them were to delete them to recycle bin and move them from there to a folder on my desktop. For some reason where they were located it said access denied. So once again THANK YOU!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

No problem, glad WinDirStat worked out for you. Having the photos in found.001 is interesting as that folder nomenclature is usually used for files after a chkdsk operation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users