Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powered USB Hub works sometimes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gregavi

Gregavi

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi,

I added a powered 7 port USB hub and some things (thumb drive) I plug into it appear in my drives list but others, like hard drives sometimes do but mostly don't. Is this likely a lousy hub or common behavior for a powered USB hub?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

I had two over time, they worked fine with light stuff but HD's were intermittent finally burned out.  I ended up putting a PCI 4 port USB card in, had no problems after that.  Oddly enough the card bought at Best Buy was only about $15 more then the hub, I did also buy a 6' extension cable for convenient plugging of stuff.  

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

Same experience here with USB hubs. Got sick of resetting them.  Sooo many devices do so much better with a direct connection than a hub, especially hard drives for data transfers.  And that's even for lowly 3 or 4 port hubs wired directly into the motherboard.  Now I'm just wary of them.  I'm guessing it's the hub controller that's the issue, but my answer is 'common USB hub behavior'.  Use for light stuff (and non important) stuff only in my book.

#4 Gregavi

Gregavi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am now planning on adding a USB card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users