Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 upgrade, now Graphics Driver keeps crashing and recovering

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:05 PM

I have an Intel Family HD 4400 Graphics card on my laptop and I have updated the driver as of an hour ago (latest driver released August 12, 2015).  Before I upgraded to Win10 I never had a problem with my graphics, even playing Skyrim or other graphics demanding games, but now, even watching a streaming video online, my graphics driver crashes and recovers...  constantly.  I've tried rolling back the graphics driver as well and still I have crashes.  Anyone else having this issue?  I've searched all over and haven't found much about graphics drivers being affected after the Win10 upgrade, but anyone who has had issues either just updated the driver or rolled back their driver and the problem was fixed, so I really don't know where else to look for ideas on how to resolve this problem. 

I don't know what all details would be needed, but I'll list some hardware specs here:

Dell Inspiron 17r 5750...? (or something like that)

Intel core i7-4500 cpu 1.8 GHz 2.4GHz

64 bit OS

8 GB Ram

Windows 10 Home Edition

Intel Family HD 4400 Graphics

Event viewer only says (for each display driver crash and recovery),

"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." 

If anyone has a clue, please let me know.  Much appreciated...

Edited by computerxpds, 14 August 2015 - 07:46 PM.
Moved to BSOD forum from Windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

Dell Inspiron 17r 5750 or something like that.....This needs to be verified.

I imagine it would be crucial ....otherwise the compatibility issue will remain in doubt.

Start button>>> Control panel;>>>.System....make and model should be there

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

Inspiron 17R 5737 

couldn't remember and was too mad to think where to look...  hope that can narrow down the possible solution

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:02 AM

From THIS PAGE   ....

Try THIS  driver

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for that...  unfortunately, it gave me an error ...  "You system does not meet the minimum requirements"

What the...????

Attached Files

Edited by WatDabney, 14 August 2015 - 12:45 AM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:01 AM

Have a read on THIS PAGE    if you were to have the "service Tag" I think it would be helpful ......that page is specifically for windows 10, and your model number dell pc

#7 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

Yes, I have been to that page and do have my service tag for this computer, but the graphics driver on that page causes everything to crash.  I can't even open a picture file on my computer with that driver active, and even Netflix won't work.  That driver was released back in 2013 and is definitely not compatable with Win10.  Upon updating with the "update driver" button in device manager, the driver updates to one released on 7/17/2015, and still has the random crashes.  I've updated to the driver released on 8/12/2015 (from Intel's website) and still the graphics driver crashes.

To add insult to injury, I'm also getting an error when rebooting my computer, since the upgrade to Win10.  During startup, when the logon screen is displayed, I start to type in my password to log in and the computer crashes, with an error message of "Kernal_Auto_Boost_Lock_Acquisition_With_Raised_IRQL", and the statement, "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  We're collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you."  This has happened more than a few times since yesterday when I upgraded. 

This is not boding well for Win10 and I'm getting pretty upset at all this hassle.  Anyone able to diagnose or help to restore my computer to a working order would be greatly appreciated. 

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

I think the people in the bsod area need to take a look....I will report this topic for you and ask for it to be shifted there.

#9 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

ok thanks...  I spoke with a tech support person from Intel, where he had me uninstall and do a clean install of the latest graphics driver, which didn't fix the problem.  He advised me to speak with Dell or to reinstall the OS, as either the software or hardware has developed a fault.  Having just installed the update to Windows 10, I did a system reset (files are saved, but apps are removed) since I knew my drivers all worked fine before the upgrade.  So far, it's been a couple of hours, and I haven't had a problem yet, but I'm still re-installing my games, so I don't know if they are still effected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users