Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How set automatic backup from thumb drive to PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

Hi BC,

I currently use my thumb drive for work and there are some pretty important files on it. I would like to keep back ups on my PC, if my thumb drive ever crashes.

However, I was wondering if any one could guide me on how to set it so that every time I plug in my thumb drive, a particular folder on my thumb drive is backed up on my PC (this is because there is only one work folder that needs backing up, as the other folders are just videos/pictures, which I do not edit and have already backed up). I was also hoping to set it so that the word files are automatically updated, rather than just adding new files, as I often edit word documents heavily.

I am not sure if this possible, but I'd just thought I'll put it out there if in case anyone knows how. I've searched online, but there was nothing really similar to what I mentioned above.

I run Windows 8.1 on a Samsung Intel Pentium, with 4GB RAM. It's quite few years old and is a hand me down.

Thank you very much!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Create an Autorun.inf file to launch a batch file or program that does the actual copy.  The major downside of this is that it will perform the copy on any machine you connect the thumb drive.

The contents of the batch file would determine what is backed up.

#3 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:34 AM

Hey Kilroy,

I am not familiar with creating autorun files, but I was doing some reading and I found a guide that shows how to create them. From what I understand, the batch file will be put into the thumb drive. Hence, the thumb drive will either copy contents from a PC or to a PC automatically. The caveat being it does not discriminate which PC i.e whether it's my personal one or a public one.

So, does that mean there is no way I could create batch files or program (as someone unfamiliar with creating these things) and put them ON my PC, so that thumb drives I put into my PC are copied?

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:06 AM

I'm not an expert in this area but I do use batch files to copy and paste my documents back and forth between my USB flash drive and 2 computers when I'm ready to do so (not automatically) on a daily basis. I have 2 batch files on the desktop of each one of my 2 computers: one of them is titled "Computer name to USB "drive letter" and the other one is titled USB "drive letter" to Computer name. And then within the Documents folder of the 2 computers I have a dedicated folder titled "Cmptrgy". This way when I use the flash drive  it won't copy to any other PC because the path includes the title of my dedicated folder within the Documents folder.

--- That said though, it's a "clumsy" process compared to what an expert could set up. However, I usually delete  the contents of "Cmptrgy" manually as I want to see the list to make sure I haven't missed something before running the batch file. It's essentially a no-brainer by now but I don't take anything for granted. The end result is my data is saved in 3 locations:  my desktop computer, my laptop computer and my flash drive.

At one time I kept the two latest copies available but now I keep only the most current one  plus I had the batch file empty the contents of the "Cmptrgy" folder automatically and but as I said I prefer to see the list of the documents in the "Cmptrgy" folder to make sure I haven't missed something before running the batch file.

--- I think what you are asking for is more advanced than what I do but it's a painless process that I'm in control of

#5 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:51 AM

Hey cmptrgy,

My apologies for the late reply. I'm actually a bit confused by your reply, so I'm going to just point out the parts I don't understand.

1. Why have a dedicated folder in your Documents folder? Is that where the files get saved?

2. "This way when I use the flash drive  it won't copy to any other PC because the path includes the title of my dedicated folder within the Documents folder." But won't the fact that you have specified the name of the computer in your batch file already ensure that it won't copy to other PCs?
3. "
However, I usually delete  the contents of "Cmptrgy" manually as I want to see the list to make sure I haven't missed something before running the batch file."
What list are you referring to and why?
4. "
At one time I kept the two latest copies available but now I keep only the most current one  plus I had the batch file empty the contents of the "Cmptrgy" folder automatically and but as I said I prefer to see the list of the documents in the "Cmptrgy" folder to make sure I haven't missed something before running the batch file." Again, I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

Sorry, but I'm running on extremely sparse knowledge of batch files, so I'm pretty confused over the parts I mentioned above. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply though and in taking time to explain the parts I don't understand.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

I can understand why it sounds confusing so please don't hesitate to ask whatever you need to have clarified.

Please remember I am not an expert in this area and it's just a "home-brew" I thought of

So for now let's address the first concern

" 1. Why have a dedicated folder in your Documents folder? Is that where the files get saved?"

Comments to keep track of as I try to put this together

Most people work with their documents in the Documents folder but I work with my dedicated LDG folder within the Documents folder.

--- I create a shortcut for my dedicated folder on my desktop so it’s easy to get to.

I do a monthly system image backup using Windows 7 built in utility

I use my batch file to copy/paste my data onto my flash drive

--- What's the value of using the copy/paste method/

--- If something drastic happens to my computer, the copied data is always available without having to be concerned as to whether or not restoring data has issues

This is the command that works for me

xcopy "C:\Users\Larry.Mark-PC\Documents\LDG" "F:\*.*" /e

In your case it could look like this with your flash drive identified as F

xcopy "C:\Users\Arrow92\Documents\MyOwnFolder" "F:\*.*" /e

Open notepad and paste that xcopy command into the note pad

Go into your documents library and create a new folder or whatever name to want to assign instead of MyOwnFolder

Then create a new document in that dedicated folder of yours

After closing it out, right click on the new documents icon and them left click on Properties at the bottom of the menu. With the General tab in effect look at location: that’s what you use for your path.

Replace my xcopy command with yours

You can then delete that new document that isn’t needed anymore.

There’s more to be said but see how this part works out for you.

Note: You haven’t created the batch file yet but save the notepad file so you can expand on it

I’m sure there are experts that can come up with a much better command but this is what works for me.

But for me I do the same procedure on 2 computers: my desktop and laptop along with my external hard drive so I have appropriate variations involved.

At the same time none of my data will be copied onto someone else’s computer unless they have the same subdirectory and flash drive identified as F

It looks like a lot of work at first but I can do all of the above within about 15 minutes at any time of my choosing while I can do something else (in other words essentially unattended)

Finally I have personally seen tears in people’s eyes when they lost their data and my data is more important to me than not doing what I’m doing

#7 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:49 AM

Thanks very much! I'll give it a try and post back here if I run into any problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users