Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans spin for half second when cpu is installed.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 zellersko

zellersko

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Hi, I'm bulding a new computer and have run into some trouble getting it to boot. With everything but my cpu properly installed (I think) the fans spin up for about 5 seconds and then repeat. When I install the cpu and heatsink, plug in the fan, and plug in the cpu power, the fans spin for a half second and then stop. If you need more info, let me know and I'll provide.

Thanks for the Help!

-Kole

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2015 - 12:21 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Builidng/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

Please provide make/model of motherboard.

List specs of all hardware plugged in.

CPU

RAM

Video Card

PSU

Whatever else there may be....

Thanks

#3 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:01 PM

cpu i5 4690k

ram 2x4 8gb corsair vengeance

gpu gtx 970 

psu 500w rosewill rd500-2db

mobo gigabyte ga-z97-hd3

case atx mid tower stryker m rosewill

Edited by zellersko, 13 August 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#4 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

Anyone got any idea? It'd be great to get this over with

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

Did you check the cpu for bent or missing pins?  Did you connect both power supply adapters to the mainboard?  Disconnect any other devices (video card) Hard drives and even memory and see if you get the POST beeps that advise of missing memory.  If you do, put the memory back and and try again.  If it POSTS then connect one at a time your other peripherals to see if one of them is causing your problem. 

#6 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

first guess is it's the cpu... or an adapter cable is missing somewhere on the motherboard (the cpu fan header or something). grab your manual and check that all cables that need to be plugged in are. the big clue for me that it's the cpu or cpu related is that the fans spin up and quickly stop (the board shuts down).

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

Have you tried booting with only the gpu > monitor connected? No RAM, HDD, CPU etc. Is there any BIOS splash or POST at all? Any beeping or grinding?

#8 turkish

turkish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

seems like not enough power is getting through, is both the 24 pins power cable and 8 pin power cable both plugged in?  it could also be a faulty psu as well.  i recently had this problem with my main rig, the fan would spin for a few sec's then stop.  turned out to be my motherboard had given up the ghost.  changed it from a Z77 faulty to a Z97 and it all came on fine.

Edited by turkish, 18 August 2015 - 06:12 AM.

#9 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

hmmm your gtx 970 specs require a PSU of a minimum of 500W / 550W by specifications (depending on brand).... so you might upgrade that for starters.   plus when you're really using it it's going to tax your system... with whatever cooling fans, hard drives, extras you have.  the gtx 970 is a high-end board.  I wrote a post somewhere else on here about having 2 hard drives burn out with a PSU that wasn't up to snuff (even though it was rated well above minimum power levels).

the 5 second 'spin and stop' to me sounds like the obvious 'immediate shutdown for cpu or cpu cooling fault (which would be the bent pin/short/ or missing cpu fan connector --> like the cpu fan not plugged into the sensor header on the motherboard so the motherboard doesn't know the cpu has a fan installed) [boards w defective but not shorted cpus can just have the fans just spin on max speed.. and not pass the POST.]

depending on where you bought your setup, some stores are notorious for just putting returned (aka defective motherboards) back on the shelf for the next person, but 'the egg' is usually pretty good.  and I've had great experiences with Gigabyte boards, they're solid usually, but a bad board does happen from time to time. some stores will test the board for you if you ask (or if you buy the mobo, ram and cpu, can test the setup there)--> or you can just swap out the board.   2 bad boards is much less likely (just don't get an open box item).

#10 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:50 AM

You need a 750w PSU minimum 

I Love Lamp!

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Need power, man. :)

Or more cowbell....

more-cowbell-tshirt_zpscekwb9n1.jpg

LOL

Edited by bludgard, 25 August 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#12 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:40 PM

Sorry for late reply. So you guys think for sure a 750w psu should solve my problem?

#13 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

Sorry for late reply. So you guys think for sure a 750w psu should solve my problem?

Yes

I Love Lamp!

#14 turkish

turkish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:42 AM

my system is this:

z97 extreme 6 mobo

16 gig of ram

gtx 970

dvd rw

watercooled loop for cpu

soundblaster titanium hd card

psu is a 550 watt seasonic gold rated.  powers it all fine.

the gtx ran off a 450 watt psu fine. 

i think its the mobo but try swapping the psu to start with.

#15 zellersko

zellersko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

I bought a 750 w corsair power supply and it didn't fix the problem. the fans and lights come on briefly and then the system boots off. It's different now but still won't start. HELP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users