Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant BSOD, BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER Error. Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Justin D.

Justin D.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

I installed Windows 10 a few days ago. Since then, my computer regularly restarts and says it's because of a BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error. This seems to only be a problem when I have my wireless keyboard and mouse attached through a wireless USB device. I have a Microsoft sculpt comfort keyboard and mouse.

So far, I've:

• Uninstalled and reinstalled all USBs.
  • Updated all of my drivers.
  • Completely reinstalled Windows 10.
  • Updated the computers BIOS.

I thought the last step resolved the issue as I was able to use my wireless mouse and keyboard for roughly three hours before my computer restarted itself. . Please help. This is driving me insane, and I need this computer to work, among other things. Here's my system information and a crash dump analysis

System Information (local)

computer name: MASTER-PC
windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 10240
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: 10249RU, LENOVO, Emerald Lake
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8499900416 total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 8/14/2015 1:10:28 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081315-16765-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbport.sys (USBPORT+0x3000B)
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x4, 0xFFFFE000F505A410, 0xFFFFE000F5A3DB10, 0xFFFFE000F8261A0C)
Error: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbport.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an error has occurred in a Universal Serial Bus (USB) driver.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 8/14/2015 1:10:28 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbport.sys (USBPORT!USBPORT_GetHciMn+0x1096B)
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x4, 0xFFFFE000F505A410, 0xFFFFE000F5A3DB10, 0xFFFFE000F8261A0C)
Bug check description: This indicates that an error has occurred in a Universal Serial Bus (USB) driver.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 8/13/2015 9:48:56 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081315-17750-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x4, 0xFFFFE0001F817560, 0xFFFFE0001F37FA50, 0xFFFFE00020D1CA0C)

On Thu 8/13/2015 9:19:10 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081315-17703-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x4, 0xFFFFE001F2DA49D0, 0xFFFFE001F3C0EAE0, 0xFFFFE001F50C34DC)

On Thu 8/13/2015 9:07:54 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081315-22093-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x4, 0xFFFFE001A0CEEB60, 0xFFFFE001A2070470, 0xFFFFE001A201344C)

On Thu 8/13/2015 8:16:29 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081315-40312-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x4, 0xFFFFE001E199DCF0, 0xFFFFE001E24BCA90, 0xFFFFE001E68E1A0C)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hi. . .

Please run through the BSOD Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

For info, he driver named in "Probably caused by:" is usbport.sys, a Microsoft USB related driver.  It is not the cause of your BSODs.  It is merely listed as a default.

http://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=USBPORT.SYS

Did you install the drivers for the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse?

I don't see Windows 10 listed as a supported OS (which does not necessarily mean it won't work under W10).

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/sculpt-comfort-mouse

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 Justin D.

Justin D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

\

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

For info, he driver named in "Probably caused by:" is usbport.sys, a Microsoft USB related driver.  It is not the cause of your BSODs.  It is merely listed as a default.

http://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=USBPORT.SYS

Did you install the drivers for the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse?

I don't see Windows 10 listed as a supported OS (which does not necessarily mean it won't work under W10).

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/sculpt-comfort-mouse

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I had the Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse on the computer before I installed Windows 10, so the driver was already on the computer.

I used the Lenovo Companion, Intel Drive Update Utility, and Window 10's own driver update capabilities to update my drivers.

I have a Lenovo z570. As long as I don't have anything in my USB port, the bugcode_USB_error is absent and my computer stays on. Not long after I plug in the wireless keyboard and mouse, I get the error and my computer restarts.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:53 AM

Hi. . .

If the only time your system BSODs is when the mouse + KB are plugged in, the problem obviously is with either the hardware itself or the drivers.

Check the driver date listed in Device Manager for each, then go to the support site and download/install fresh drivers. 

Since Windows 10 is not (yet) listed at the support site, try the Windows 8.1 drivers - http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/sculpt-comfort-mouse

Be sure to create a Windows System Restore point first - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-10-tutorials/11721-windows-system-restore-create-restore-point-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 14 August 2015 - 03:53 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 Justin D.

Justin D.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:29 AM

Hi. . .

If the only time your system BSODs is when the mouse + KB are plugged in, the problem obviously is with either the hardware itself or the drivers.

Check the driver date listed in Device Manager for each, then go to the support site and download/install fresh drivers. 

Since Windows 10 is not (yet) listed at the support site, try the Windows 8.1 drivers - http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/sculpt-comfort-mouse

Be sure to create a Windows System Restore point first - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-10-tutorials/11721-windows-system-restore-create-restore-point-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

The computer seems to run fine without the wireless mouse and keyboard. Oddly enough, it even runs fine as long as I'm using one or the other. But if I leave the USB dongle in the port and don't use either the wireless keyboard or mouse for a few minutes, it shuts down and restarts because of the bugcode_USB_driver error. I've downloaded the latest driver for this keyboard, which unfortunately, only goes up to Windows 8. After installing the latest version of the driver, the reboot and error code still appear.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

Have you checked for Windows Updates that might support this device?

The website says that the device works w/Win10 - yet the site doesn't have Win10 drivers.

You may want to go to the Microsoft site and initiate a chat session with them to find out what they suggest.

Additionally, updating the chipset and USB/USB3 drivers for your system might also help

Edited by usasma, 15 August 2015 - 08:53 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users