Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome browser blocks Winpatrol Web Site

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dudewithaclue

dudewithaclue

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

Have never experienced this before, but I had to come to Bleeping Computer  to download WinPatrol.

My chrome browser blocked me (with a big scary red screen) from going to the Winpatrol.com web site and downloading Winpatrol.exe.

The warning says:

The site ahead contains harmful programs. Attackers on www.winpatrol.com might attempt to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit.

This warning is new to me.

I just got a new PC and I always install Winpatrol on each one.

Is the winpatrol.exe version I downloaded (and subsequently installed) via www.BleepingComputer.com safe?

Anyone know about this new browser warning from Chrome?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

Bleeping Computer's hosted programs for download are trustworthy, safe and malware-free.

Winpatrol.com is also trustworthy and the Winpatrol.exe setup file is safe.

Google Chrome warns you if the site you're trying to visit is suspected of phishing or malware, using Google’s Safe Browsing technology.

Google Chrome Phishing & malware alerts

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT, Google’s Safe Browsing, Webutation, avast! WebRep, etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide.

Google Forums: How to remove "The site ahead contains harmful programs...

You may want to email support@WinPatrol.com in regards to this issue and advise them about the warning. Bret Lowry, the founder of Ruiware, LLC which purchased WinPatrol from BillP Studios (Bill Pytlovany) said it was his intention to carry on the tradition of responding with quick and courteous customer to all inquiries. I have dealt with each of them numerous times over the years when assisting users with various issues. If you don't hear back within 48 hours please repeat your request. If you have not heard anything after that let me know and I will contact Bret for you.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dudewithaclue

dudewithaclue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

Thank you quietman7 for your excellent reply.

I have received warnings in Chrome before - but never for the Winpatrol site.

I will send an email message to WinPatrol support and contact you as requested if I don't get a reply.

Again, thank you so much for your help, quietman7. I was pretty sure I was okay with downloading WinPatrol from here but I had to check out of an overabundance of caution.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

You're quite welcome.

#5 dudewithaclue

dudewithaclue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

quietman7

Sir,

I heard back from Mr. Lowry. I'm including his reply below. I cannot thank you enough for all your assistance in allaying my concerns.

"Thank you for writing. Yep, we are aware of the false positive and are working it through with Google. But, because they do not ever speak with actual human beings and give very little information as to the actual problem, this is taking longer than we’d like to resolve. We have had a 3rd party company scan our site and they say it’s clean. So, we wait for Google to re-scan. From what I understand we are not the only company suffering this fate of a false positive taking us down."

Thanks,

Bret Lowry

WinPatrol

Email: support@WinPatrol.com

Here's wishing you a great day and a better tomorrow.

Edited by dudewithaclue, 14 August 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

You're welcome. :thumbup2:

#7 FerikD

FerikD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

Hi, also Firefox block WinPatrol website -.-

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

You can click the ignore this warning link at the bottom.

And you may want to report this to support@WinPatrol.com.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

It is possible that the site they were blocking wasn't the real one, but one with a similar URL trying to pretend to be the site you wanted. Chrome and firefox both include features to block forged sites, so you could have been accidentaly trying to visit one of them rather than the real site.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

It is possible that the site they were blocking wasn't the real one, but one with a similar URL trying to pretend to be the site you wanted. Chrome and firefox both include features to block forged sites, so you could have been accidentaly trying to visit one of them rather than the real site.

While something like that is possible, its not the case in this instance...the legitimate WinPatrol site is being targeted.

#11 Coralman

Coralman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

When I tried to get to WinPatrol's site, Chrome showed the terrible warning. I insisted on getting there, and finally Chrome allowed it.

Started downloading the installation file, but when about half of the file had been already downloaded, Chrome said that it would block the download because it was harmful to me, and stopped it.

IOW, Chrome does not want you to decide by yourself wether you want WinPatrol or not. It just doesn't want you to use it.

Now, Adobe Flash Player keeps information form the videos you played, which can be useful to advertisers. Google gets its income from advertising. And WinPatrol enables you to control flash cookies. Just some reason why Google may not be too happy with programs like WinPatroi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users