Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Anitspyware? The Next Greatest Thing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

I'm wondering if any of you have run this program from the yahoo toolbar (if you have it).

I'm securing my dad's laptop, and have used all the excellent techniques on this website ie
Firewall (kerio)
spybot
antispyware blaster
avast AV
adaware

as well as running autoruns and optimizing his computer

etc etc.

Well after running spybot and ad aware and getting good results, i decide to run Yahoo's antispyware, expecting to find nothing, obviously....well i found some adware, a trojan, and some spyware! is this program the new next best thing or is it just me? I did run the program on the IE browser (since his that's where is antispyware program was)

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

Thought you might like to know this: Yahoo's Famed Anti-Spyware App Allows Spyware From Partners. From here http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20040602/0712242.shtml Google has more reviews which state for the most part the same thing, in case you are interested.

Not exactly the app you think it is, for the most part.

Be (Friends behind your back) Safe :thumbsup:

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

Thanks animal.

I failed to mention that while i was posting that message (in Firefox), AVAST had detected a Trojan which I placed in the vault. It was so odd that right after I ran that yahoo antispyware was when my AV had detected something. I hope people read this post and remove yahoo's anitspyware right away. There should be more warnings on these programs...

Thanks again.

#4 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

I just removed Yahoo Anti-Spy.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users