Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find entire hard drive only MBR

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 doveroh

doveroh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:14 PM

I am trying to reinstall windows 8, but when I do it says it can only find the MBR and that my disk isn't large enough.  My hard drive is 500GB and the partition says it is 14 and it can't find any other partitions or the rest of the hard drive. 

I can only boot into the system using the disk (which I can get into a cmd prompt). 

Any suggestions?   I came across this because my computer wouldn't load anymore and just keep scanning for disks for days.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2015 - 07:58 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSOD to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

WIth CMD on the windows 8 install disk, I ran diskpart and it only shows Disk 0 , Status: Online, Size 14 GB, Free 0B.  Nothing else. 

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

Are you looking for assistance with data recovery from the missing partition or are you just looking to reformat the drive to it's full size?

Do you know the manufacturer of the drive?  Is it a desktop or laptop?  Are you re-installing from a DVD, USB drive or other method?  Do you have access to another computer and a CD burner or USB flash drive?

By the way. the MBR is a very small area of the disk (512 bytes) which contains partition information, and a simple bootloader.  14Gb doesn't really correspond with anything I can think of at the moment.  Different small partitions are setup by Windows (recovery partition, EFI partition etc) depending on exactly how it's installed, but none of them are anything like 14Gb normally.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Click on Start, then type diskmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box.

When Disk Management opens expand the screen to full size, take a screen shot and post it in your topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

That is the issue I am having, I can't get into Windows at all, it keeps trying to repair itself, for 6 days straight.  I don't care about the data and just trying to get my 500 GB hard drive back and install windows 8 again. 

Do you know the manufacturer of the drive?  No, sorry. 

Is it a desktop or laptop?  Laptop (netbook)

Are you re-installing from a DVD, USB drive or other method? No DVD Player, I have a USB with Windows 8.  I tried installing it but it couldn't find the remainder of the disk except the first 16GB. 

Do you have access to another computer and a CD burner or USB flash drive? Yes

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

If you don't care about your data and have the installation media you could use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the entire hdd and then install Windows.  

Remember that you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS so that your USB drive will be the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.  The BIOS operates independently from the operating system, so problems with the operating system will not effect accessing the BIOS.

Edited by dc3, 14 August 2015 - 01:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

I added an external cd and put boot and nuke iso onto a cd and put it in the cd drive.

(I did burn the iso image onto the cd, so it isn't .iso on the cd.)

When I go into the boot menu I have it booting from cd first, but it goes back to the loop again.

#8 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

I also checked boot options in boot manager and the only two that I see are OS boot Manager and Boot from EFI File.

#9 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Ok, so I changed it to 'Legacy' in the boot menu and now I was able to get Nuke and Boot to run :)

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,085 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

I would recommend performing a diagnostic scan of the disc, to check the disc hardware.  Seatools for DOS checks all brands of discs, but can only perform repairs on Seagate/Samsung drives.

A useful download is Ultimate Boot CD which can be placed on a USB stick.  It contains disc scanning utilities from all the disk manufacturers.  Rufus is useful for making a bootable USB stick from a bootable ISO image.  Alternatively YUMI allows you to put several ISO's on a single USB stick and choose which one to boot from.

Assuming the hardware is good, you don't really need to nuke the drive.  Deleting the partition table will effectively blank the disc.  In Windows setup just deleting the existing partition should do this.

Edited by jonuk76, 14 August 2015 - 02:03 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.  If you need to change the configuration this will have to be done in the BIOS.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,085 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks DC that's useful to know.  I assume most Windows 8 era laptops will be pre-configured to use AHCI.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

Success!  It found the entire hard drive and I am able to install Windows 8 now after the nuke and boot!

Thank you so much!!!!

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

Glad to be able to help. :thumbup2:

#15 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

Spoke too soon.

Now I get an error "Windows could not format a partition on disk 0.  The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation.  Error code: 0x80070057

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users