Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program won't start because of .NET

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gruberscomplete

gruberscomplete

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

I have a computer program called Nexus Mod Manager(NMM) that won't open no matter what I do. I double click on its icon and then my mouse shows a "loading circle" for a couple seconds, and then stops. Checking in Task Manager, I see the program start up, but close in a second after starting.

NMM is used to mod a game called Skyrim. 

I do not believe I have any malware on my computer after running Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes and getting 0 malicious programs.

My Antivirus is Avira. I have added an exception for NMM in firewall and scanning.
I set the NMM exe file to run as administrator, but that does not help. I have even tried to uninstall and reinstall NMM, while removing registry files with ccleaner, and on restart NMM still does not open.

I opened Event Viewer and see that each time I try to run the NMM exe, I get a new application error and a .NET error:

Attached File  problem1.png   213.45KB   1 downloads

Attached File  problem 2.png   174.86KB   1 downloads

kernelbase.dll seems responsible.

Please help me figure this out! No matter what I do, the program won't open.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I dislike having to start off with an admonishment, but... here we go.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Did you recently upgrade to 8.1?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 gruberscomplete

gruberscomplete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, I had 8, but then NMM stopped working and I thought I could fix it by upgrading to 8.1, which was about a month ago. 

Also, I have not installed all updates for 8.1 because when I first upgraded, I got the screen flashing bug, which I fixed by uninstalling intel graphics driver and idt audio driver. If I update again, I would really hate for my computer to reinstall those updates. 

Edited by gruberscomplete, 13 August 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

From the little I've been able learn about this program and Windows 8 it appears that this program is not compatible with Windows 8.  Those who posted being unable to use this program at all had updated to Windows 8.1.

You might try running it in Windows 7 via a virtual machine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 gruberscomplete

gruberscomplete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

what do you mean by a virtual machine? Do you mean install a new OS? and run it there? Or just find a windows 7 emulator online if such a thing exists?

I tried running it in compatibility mode for windows 7 but that didn't work.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1029451-hi-will-nexus-mod-manager-work-with-windows-8/

My NMM program used to work for several months on windows 8, but then stopped working. Maybe malware corrupted my system? I have had a lot of malware on my PC, but currently it is clean.

Edited by gruberscomplete, 14 August 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

You didn't mention any other operating system than Windows 8/8.1.

If you have Windows 7 installed on this computer you should be able to run this program from it.  If you can't I start wondering if you need to reinstall the program.

To understand virtual machines google virtualbox.

#7 gruberscomplete

gruberscomplete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Yes, but even if I do reinstall the program, it fails to open. On finishing the install, I get an error: 740 needs elevation.

On my PC, I am unable to install windows 7, as windows keeps giving me errors, so a VM probably would not work either.

Do you know why my program won't open? Like C:\Windows\System32\Kernelbase.dll seems to be the problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users