Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To renew AVG or not ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi Guys

Last year I suffered a malware attack on my laptop that left me beyond paranoid. Instead of taking help from this site I took it to a so called expert, who returned it " As clean " but with the infection still there. It was only when I realized that MAMB didnot scan for rootkits by default that I was able to clear the problem.

As we use online banking regularly I now have AVG internet security and MAMB premium protection, both paid for products.

As it is time to renew both programs  I am looking for suggestions, and as I am now retired, trying to cutback on outlay. I have another laptop with MAMB premium and MSE that seems to be doing the job.

I am going to continue with MAMB but wondering how effective at protection you think the combination of MAMB & MSE is? Or should I consider something else ?Any constuctive comments and suggestions appreciated.

Cluey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:26 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made the decision a few years ago to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. More recently (September 2015), it was reported that AVG privacy policy update allows it to sell your browsing history...meaning AVG allows the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data and sharing that data with affiliated partners, search providers and resellers.

There have been other reports of AVG exposing and collecting personal data.

There have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems. There have been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and AVG PC TuneUp which purport to fix registry errors and various optimizing tweaks which make changes to system settings. Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons...read Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools.  The use of cleaning and tuneup utilities installs numerous files, folders and registry entries throughout the operating system making removal of the anti-virus software more difficult.

There have been complaints of AVG Secure Search and AVG Security Toolbar repeatedly being reinstalled after AVG updates itself even though users intentionally choose to remove them. And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

My personal recommendation is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice for the same reason and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

For other alternatives, please read...Choosing an Anti-Virus Program. Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free...see Has the antivirus industry gone mad?!

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for input Quietman, can I assume from your reply that you do not rate MSE very highly.

regards

Cluey

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:49 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials is as good as any other free anti-virus program....but if you want free, ease of use and no nagging marketing schemes in the form of pop-up messages, then your choices are limited so MSE is an option for some folks.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users