Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is ignorance bliss

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hi

One of the problems that concerns me is that all the people who take the time to patiently read and often submit responses to many of the articles in all the forums regarding W10 and any other O.S for that matter, learn all the pros and cons and get for the most part great advice, (especially from BP) and are able to solve issues and get great advice in the process & learn so much making them able to cope with the issues and the chance to think twice about what to do next.

BUT!! what about the other people who are being conned, (older people who are clueless about computers and just need them to chat to their family or write a letter, kids getting their first computer and everyone knows what kids are like taking selfies etc and no nothing of security issues on their computers (i must admit i know kids as young as 10 who are geniuses on the computer) but still, ordinary people in the street who don't want to delve into the brains of a pc to get it to work or have to do an IT course to ensure that they are doing things safely, My wife only wants the pc to write letters, keep in contact with her family/friends, do the odd spreadsheet and ocassionally play a few simple games any more than that is gibberish to her (she is 67 by the way).........most are like lambs to the slaughter sadly

Is ignorance really bliss

Just a little rant!!! :scratchhead:

Thanks BP and all the boffins

Rozzer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Well, I don't think this really applies to Windows 10 to be honest, it would apply to pretty much every OS there is. Your wife doesn't need to upgrade to Windows 10 to use her computer. She could stay on Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1. If she (or you) decides to upgrade to Windows 10 and don't like it, then it's your responsability to do research on the issue or question you have. A lot of people here spends tons of time researching, that's how they know that much about Windows 10. Also, what I'm explaining here is common sense: before you do anything that is unknown to you, you should always research and get more information on the subject first. Because if you do it and then regret it for whatever reason there is, it's because you didn't help to prevent it.

Let's say that I want to buy a new car. I buy the first one that I like, or the one my seller recommends me and I end up with a bunch of problems, and notice that I paid way too much for it compared to another car, or the same car at another dealer. Is it my fault? Kind of. You don't buy a car like you buy apples or bread. You need to research the kind of car you want to buy, the brands and models that you like, what are their pros and cons, the reviews, the prices, etc. If you buy a car without any second thought or prior research, then it's on you.

So ignorance is bliss, only if you are happy with the choices your ignorance makes you do.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:06 AM

To the OP, are you talking about Apple? If you are, then I agree with you. Are you talking about Linux? If so, then not so much but it still applies but not as much as Apple. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

I just noticed that you posted this thread in the Windows 10 section. Is there any particular reason?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

Most likely because this thread is about Windows 10, even thought I think it applies to pretty much everything else.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

I agree with you Aura. Yes, the OP was trying to point something out in Windows 10, but it certainly does apply to every OS and almost every piece of electronic equipment today, including cell phones and new cars with built in GPS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:54 AM

Hi guys :bowdown:

This topic is just my little rant because I sympathize with the people who are unaware of what they are getting into

unknowingly (referring mainly to the security issues) and how they are being being monitored unbeknown to them.

I think it's mainly the fact that the more I learn of what is going on, i feel lucky to have been able to find out about it

and attempt to do something about it with the help of the forums etc.

I don't particularly mean MS (though they are the ones that with this release W10) that have opened many peoples

eyes, mine included, but there is also the others like Google & Apple etc (i think Linux for the most part is a safe bet for now)

The car analogy I agree with in principle but I think it's a different kettle of fish with a pc, initially you see a pc you like, like the price

like the look, like the O/S at face value and decide to buy it, the salesman doesn't tell you that you have hundreds of privacy issues

and to read the EULA before buying and reasearch the T/C and if you are happy to take it and then get under the hood to revamp

the security settings, good luck!.......(it's not just PC's it's phones and possibly other high tech gadgets)

Have a great day

Rozzer

#8 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

Ignorance is just ignorant.  It really pays to know something first before you do something expecilly with technology.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users