Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What will I want for a semi-gaming laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:46 AM

1. I'm going to college

2. I'd like to game a bit

Those are basically the two things I have to say. Point number 1 REALLY doesn't matter, but I'm just saying that so no one suggests a 25 kilogram gaming laptop. (I really never understood the point of laptops "specialized" for college.)

I'm looking for a mid/high end gaming laptop. I say gaming, as in, the purpose is for gaming. I know there are 1,000 dollar laptops around, but those are a bit crazy. I think 800 would be a bit too much for a laptop. I hope there is something nice in the 500-700 dollar range I can purchase.

Is that realistic?

I'd like to play most games up to the 2014 range without problem. I don't need ultra-high-HD graphics, if I can do well with medium on everything, I'm perfectly content. The laptop right now i'm using- can't even play Arma on the lowest settings possible. I think.....? That's just how it feels, anyways.

For instance, any laptop that can handle Bioshock: Infinite on normal/high or above is basically good?

Just to be sure that I'm not completely miscalculating everything, such as expectations for games, here is my current laptop. It basically can't play anything on medium without going to 20 FPS during fights.

64x, windows 8, AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD, 1.5 Ghz (quad core)

GPU: AMD radeon 6620G

So it doesn't work so well for newer games. In my opinion. For instance I generally can't mod skyrim the way I would REALLY want, with the better graphics and all.

Does anyone have a price range, or suggestion of types I can browse? 

Edited by JimmyKarter, 13 August 2015 - 06:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

Notebookcheck has a listing of various TOP 10's on their site.  The list is on the Right when you scroll down a bit.

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

It will be pretty tough to find a laptop that will play anything in the 2014 era for less than 700. Even 700 is stretching it a bit. There is a Lenovo Y4080 series starting out at $650, all variations of them come with a AMD Radeon R9 M275 (<- this link is a link to notebook check for that card). That card struggles to even play some 2013 games on low-medium settings, and unfortunately will get outdated very quickly. You may want to up your budget to more around the $1,000 range. You'll get more of a selection and better GPUs in that range. The Lenovo Y50 models would probably be a better option. Or one with similar specs.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

Maybe you could build the smallest mini-itx desktop? Ask if you would like a part list for a desktop

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users