Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 or 2 SSDs. Does it matter?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

First of all I would like to say hello to all as I am new to posting here.

My question is simple, but please allow me to give a little more detail on my situation. I'm looking into making a new desktop for myself and I also have a budget that I do not want to pass. I've had my eye on the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD for some time now, but when I was looking at it again I realized that buying 2 850 EVO 500GB would cost slightly less as shown in the links below.

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB SSD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147374

I am aware that newegg is not the only store to have these, but I don't really know any other trusted sites to have them more affordable (Even Ebay can be sketchy at times).

With this in mind, I've been thinking about just getting one 500GB for now and one later when I have more funds to do so. But if I have 2 500 GB SSDs on my computer as oppose to just 1 1TB SSD, are there really any pros or cons to doing so? Or is it exactly the same thing?

Thanks in advance for giving me advice on this topic. (:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:58 AM

Hello Dream_Eater

I say that it depends on what you are looking for. Generally, two SSD:s are faster than one(benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html)

but it's unlikely that you notice the difference. Two drives offer more portability ex. you could store your OS on one and games,programs and documents on second. You could even

set up some synchronization to your important files so that even if one drive fails your documents will still be safe(this however does not remove the need of backups!). However, if you

are planning to use RAID0 on those two disks then I would recommend one drive since it is a more compact solution and slightly more fault tolerant since RAID:s can fail. Plus you can't setup RAID0 after without losing data so your suggestion of getting second later isn't going to work with RAID0.

So overall go with one disk if you are planning to use the first options two disk setup with RAID0. Otherwise I would suggest that you buy 2x500GB disks.

There are of course other factors to consider such as how many free SATA ports you have and require in future :)

#3 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

Thank you Slurppa for a quick response and providing me with your knowledge!

Your advice really makes sense! I think I will go with the 2 500GB. My reasoning to doing so is simply because I don't have much I need to back up so one drive failing and having to do a clean install wont effect me much except for the fact that I have to re-download all the games/products I've purchased and that takes A LOT of time. Also the MOBO I am going to get supports 6 SATA ports so it shouldn't affect me much. If it was 3+ SSDs then I would reconsider. Seeing how adding another SSD AFTER doing Raid0 is not possible, I don't think I will be adding more SSDs anytime soon.

Also, are you familiar with any good computer cases? I just need something that can be well ventilated. If you can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated! (:

#4 Slurppa

Slurppa

• 666 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

This seems to be rather good guide for the cases:

http://www.toptengamer.com/best-gaming-case-mid-full/

So are you going to install RAID0 on those two SSD:s? Because if that is the case I would still suggest one drive(1TB) if speed doesn't matter that much.

#5 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

Thanks again!

This is something I should probably do some more research on before purchase. I think I will end up doing the raid0 on 2 SSD's for now and if I change my mind then I'll do the 1TB. Speed is a bit of an issue as I multitask a lot.

Do you think I will still be able to multitask equally on just 1 drive(1TB) rather than 2(500GB)?

I have and AMD 8 core processor with 8GB RAM currently. I know its vague but just a little info to know if it will affect my multitasking.

#6 Slurppa

Slurppa

• 666 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

Technically 2x500GB should faster as the workload is balanced between two drives. Take a look at this:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-730-raid-demo.html

So if you are indeed using heavy IO operations then I would say go with two.

Even if you do there is still question whether to use RAID0 or not. If you do use it then

I would like to rephrase my saying of not being able to add RAID0 later:

If you set those two drives to RAID0 you can't later add third one(it needs to be same size as others since raid size=smallestDiskSize*NumberOfDrives) to that RAID0. You can of course use third one without RAID.However, if you still want all your drives to be on RAID0 then you can't do that without losing all your existing data on all those devices that

are going to be part of your new RAID0.

Edited by Slurppa, 13 August 2015 - 07:48 AM.

#7 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

Again I don't think I will be using a 3rd drive anytime soon. 1TB total should be enough for now (using the 2 500GB).

Adding a 3rd drive without raid0 would be fine if I need extra memory.

I wouldn't want to do more than 2 drives on raid0 anyways.

Maybe I will test it when I get both of the 500GB. Once with raid0 and once without raid0 just to see if speed is an issue. Just will have to do a clean install twice but I'm sure it's worth the time and effort.

#8 Slurppa

Slurppa

• 666 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Good luck :)

#9 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members