Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios says cpu temp is 141 degrees! Need your help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 holte

holte

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

Ive got a Gateway PC with I5-3570k processor/Asus P8H77-M pro. The fans been running pretty frequent forever. System never shut down in past 4-5 years, only 2-3 photoshop freezes

due to big files. Finally after a windows update it gave a CPU overheat warning as i discovered this cool-ass Bios thing upon restart. Today I cleaned out the CPU fan and cooler fin thingy which was pretty

lint filled and cakey. Temps before cleaning were 141 farenheit- but after they are still 107. Now shes running quiet and it finally feels like a quad core machine, Photoshop files are horizontally flipped in an instant vs 7-8 seconds. Obviously the Bios is exaggerating the CPU temp, but shouldnt it be more accurate? Will updating BIOS solve the issue? Its a 2012 version. Also....Bios only shows CPU fan. Power fan is marked n/a, but its working. Appreciate your response..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

hi holte

i don't think that your cpu can raise too much temperature even with heavy 3d and video rendering

i had a similar issue with my celeron cpu

the problem was the cooler was not sitting well on the cpu

i advice you to completely remove your cpu, clean well your cpu surface and put a fresh thermal paste (a very thin layer) and install again your cpu cooler

check that the cooler is sitting well and all the lock clips is completely locked !

the stock cooler is good even with your i5 but you can always buy an after market cooler for better results

a good if not very good !!! cpu cooler is the alpenföhn silvretta although the air flow is not great is only 47.1 cfm

i hope this help

#3 holte

holte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi Nickko, Thanks for tips. I removed cpu and reapply thermal paste and its working much better. No fan noise for once too.

Tell me, the temps are still registering a little over 100 degrees. What can i do to get a more accurate reading? Is it the Bios thats at fault for

misreading temp?

Thank you...

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

Assuming you are talking Fahrenheit scale, that is really not that hot.  You can expect the CPU to get much hotter than that when it is under heavy load.  Anyway, I'd suggest HW Monitor if you are running Windows, which attempts to read all the temperature sensors, both the motherboard sensors and sensors which are in the CPU internally, as well as sensors on disks, GPU's if applicable.

Here is a screenshot showing the kind of thing it will show

2KxV3cT.png

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users