Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Image Cloning Utility - for weekly or daily use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 confoosedguy

confoosedguy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:35 AM

Hi, Macrium has been recommended in order to do a system clone of my Windows 7 machine where it will save an exact image onto my backup partition (so I'm not using cd's) including all of my apps, browsers, and settings.

There was mention of Macrium not being fast enough for using daily or weekly. Is this accurate in anyone's direct experience, actually using it?

Or is Macrium the best and fastest free option?

Edited by confoosedguy, 13 August 2015 - 08:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hello

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

Based on my experience, Cloning/Imaging tools processing duration times will vary by product.

For example, here's a comparison between 2 software tools with my Cloning process times that I use on my Desktop PC to Clone every 2 weeks.

My "C" OS, program, and some personal data HDD:  1 Tb Seagate spinner with about 120 Gb space used

Cloning time duration comparisons using SATA 2.0 (3 Gb/sec) transfer speeds with Source and Target HDD's  installed in removable HDD hot-swap racks in my Desktop PC tower:

Acronis 2011 Version using the boot disk:  10 minutes

Macrium Reflect Free Ver v52.6433 WinPE boot disk:  25 minutes

I haven't compared Imaging process times as I rarely Image with Acronis, preferring Macrium's GUI interface for my Imaging backups.

If you want to automate with Incremental or Differential Imaging to a continuously-connected external HDD storage device, your process times should be fairly fast.

I always use bootable media when I Clone since I want to Clone with the tool loaded into RAM, outside of the OS and also to verify the methodology in a "worse-case" scenario for a bare-metal recovery path, a situation where Windows is either unbootable, or a malicious incidence corrupts Windows, etc, so I can rollback my PC with a spare Cloned HDD.

I use an Acronis separate automated specific-item backup job that runs twice daily to backup some of my frequently-edited/updated items, like excel files, my Outlook E-mail .PST data file, etc.

#4 confoosedguy

confoosedguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

Wow, are you saying a Terabyte is cloned in 10 mins?  That's pretty fast I'd think.

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

I wish it was that fast :).  I'm only using about 120 Gb on my 1 Tb HDD.  That's the reason for the short Cloning time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users