Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Design Power Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:02 AM

My CPU an i7 4930k has a TDP of 130 watts so says Core Temp 1.0 RC6. Today my CPU wattage hit 99.87 watts, but my CPU temp was only 45c. Does it matter what my TDP is as long as my CPU temp is under the Tj. Max?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:52 AM

If you're pulling 99Watts at that point in time during a heavy load then I would say 45C is good. Typically during idle the cpu would run less than 20 Watts. Running turbo core speeds 4ghz, or overclocking etc the more watts of power being consumed generates more heat. Shopping for a cpu cooler or water cooler you want one that is designed to cool 130 Watts cpu's. Yes a cpu will run hell of hot, but the life of it is diminished. The thermal protection is usually set low either in the cpu or the bios. Just because the T junction says it can run 85C doesn't mean you should run it say...overclocked 65c all day long. Not without a better cooling anyways. Generally heat kills. If you're pushing you cpu limits, then don't expect it to last very long.

#3 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

Ok thanks. Yeah I wasn't trying to push my CPU I just noticed it peaked at 99 watts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users