Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank In Msconfig

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

First thing is im new to to the site so this might be in the wrong forum, but if it is move it. okay.
i was clearnig out some spyware from the startup tab on msconfig, and underneath one of the ones i planned to remove{ ctfmon} is a entry with no name of given location. Is this good or bad?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

Well, it could be either, but as a rule if something does not want to tell you what it is that is a bad sign.

Also, btw, you cannot 'clear' malware by using msconfig. All you can hope for is to tell it not to auto start when you boot Windows by using this method, but it is not the preferred method of malware removal and may even make the removal job more difficult in the future.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 13 July 2006 - 12:21 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

what else should i do, cause mcaffe wont find it, windows live onecare wont find it, and windows defeder wont find anything

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

The best way to do this is to run a little program called HiJackThis. This program creates a log. Then you paste the log into the HiJackThis forum here at Bleeping Computer. An expert will help you get rid of the malware on your computer. I would mention to the helper that you have turned some items off in msconfig and they can give you further instructions from there. It takes a little time, and it takes a little patience and you must be good at following instructions, as there will be some to follow. The following instructions will walk you through the process of creating a log:

FIRST
Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

NEXT
Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

FINALLY
If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with Windows related to the removal of the infection, then come to the other forums and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

THANK YOU!! you are my hero

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

You are welcome! Oh, and welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:

Again, be sure to mention to the helper that you have made some changes to your system using msconfig. This will be important for them to know!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

i undid them as suggested in your first post

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

Doesn't OneCare include an anti-virus program?
If it does, you shouldn't be running McAffee AV too. Only one resident av program should be run at a time.

#9 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

im running NOD32 and live 1 care and nowt has happened really...ther good for both purposes...i got a bd trojan dropper once and lawl it waz weird...NOD32 missed the dropper and locoated the dropped java trojans...and live 1 care missed java trojans and found the dropper so i think its alright to use 1 care and a AV...microsoft desent make goood anti virus really...

#10 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:58 PM

Doesn't OneCare include an anti-virus program?
If it does, you shouldn't be running McAffee AV too. Only one resident av program should be run at a time.

the free trial of mcaffe ran out, and so im using the free trial on oncare until my dad hooks me up with a credit card so i can get full mcaffe

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

Get AVG Free instead and uninstall all the other av programs you have on your computer.

AVG:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

More than one resident AV program will conflict and possibly cause false positives.

#12 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

im buying mcaffe, thanks though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users