Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Access Data on External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mythik

Mythik

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

Hello-

Around 3 weeks ago I was attempting to access a file on my Seagate FreeAgent Goflex Desk 2TB external hard drive.  The file wasn't opening and when I attempted to "Safely Remove" it, it wouldn't let me because it said the drive was in use.  Since I was unable to safely remove it, I unplugged the USB cable from the PC and waited a minute and plugged it back in.  This time, when I tried to open the drive it told me that the drive wasn't recognized and needed to be formatted. 

I didn't want to format my drive since I have sensitive data on there that I need to recover so I ran a check disk (chkdsk F: /f).  I let it run for several days and it ended up hanging up on a file and wouldn't continue.  I figured this file was corrupt and wouldn't go past it.  I waited another day to see if any progress would be made, but it was still in the same spot.  I closed the command prompt and attempted to access the drive.  This time it worked.  I was able to open most of the folders and files.  I wasn't able to open one of the folders and this is the folder where that file it was stuck on resides.  I copied over a few of the important files to my desktop in case I ran into any other issues.  About a week later I clicked on the drive and it told me I needed to format it again.  This time, when I run check disk it tells me "The type of the file system is RAW." 

How can I get back to being able to access the data so I can backup the rest of my data? 

I'm running Windows7 64bit.  The hard drive is located in my F drive.  It used to display the name of the hard drive (GoFlex Desk) on my windows explorer window, but now it just says "Local Disk (F:)"

Thank you for your assistance.

Mythik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

Download Testdisk for Windows here. Unzip to a folder on your desktop and double click the Testdisk exe file. Follow the step by step here. Do a Quick search first. This will take awhile because of the drive size. Highlight the partition if any it finds and press the "P" key. If successful you should see a list of files. Browse to your directory using the up and down arrow keys. Press the ":" to highlight the directory and the upper case "C" key to copy the files. This will copy all the files in the selected Directory. If you only want certain files then press enter at the Directory and use the ":" to select individual files. The files will be copied to the directory you unzipped Testdisk to.

If a partition is not found using Quick Search you will need to use the Deeper Search option will will definitely take a long time.

If you do not have success with Testdisk then you will need to scan the drive with a program like Easeus Data Recovery.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/Download_and_donate.php/testdisk-7.0.win.zip

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 August 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

I think easeus data recovery claimed that they can do raw recovery, but never tried that myself.

Anyway, you can download the trial version to see if it can scan out anything. That would do no harm to you.

Trial version here, http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/.

#4 Mythik

Mythik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

Thank you for the quick response.  I downloaded TestDisk and I'm on the screen where I can run the Quick Search.  Quick Search is highlighted and I pressed the Enter key, but I'm not sure if it is actually searching.  The bottom of the screen says "Try to locate partition".  Should the screen change when it is doing the search?  I've attached a snippet to show the screen I'm on now.  Please let me know if the last snippet is how it should look while running the quick search.  Thank you!

Attached Files

#5 Mythik

Mythik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:58 PM

I ended up closing TestDisk since it wasn't showing any progress.  I then attempted it again, and noticed that the first time I selected "None" for the partition table type.  There is a note at the bottom that says Do Not select "None" for media with only a single partition.  It's very rare for a disk to be Non-partitioned.  This time, I selected "Intl", but I got the attached message saying Partition: Read error, and I'm still unable to hit enter on the Quick Search.

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

If you do not see any disk activity after pressing QuickSearch then that is not normal and the drive has failed. You could try scanning the disk with PhotoRec which is included in the Testdisk folder. Do not use QPhotoRec as that is not as powerful. It will scan every sector of the drive to find your file but you need to select the extension of the file you wish to retrieve under folder options or it will retrieve every file on the disk. Doing a PhotoRec scan will also take a long time. If you still see no disk activity when running PhotoRec then I think you are looking at a professional data recovery service.

Read throught the guide once to get familiar with PhotoRec.

Another option is to use a linux recovery disk called Parted Magic. Sometimes linux will pick up a RAW drive where Windows fails. But if Testdisk could not scan the drive I am not sure if this option would work. Let me know if you want to go this route and I will provide a step by step on using the linux disk.

#7 Mythik

Mythik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

I attempted to use PhotoRec, but when it asks me to choose a destination to save the recovered files I don't recognize any of the destinations.  Where should  I select to save the recovered files from the attached list? 

Thanks

Attached Files

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

That is your folder you unzipped the testdisk files to. If you want to recover to a different directory you need to use the arrow keys to move to another directory. Move to the second from the top to the two ..  then use the left and right arrow keys or you can press C and it will copy to the Testdisk folder.

Edit: The default location of file recovery is always the folder you started Testdisk from.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 August 2015 - 07:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users