Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Install Error Code: 80070005

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 incitefulnick

incitefulnick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

Hello!

After downloading Windows 10 several (several) times, I continue to run into the same error code.  I have tried everything I've read: clean boots, removing $Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS, Playing with /Windows/SoftwareDistribution, etc..  If it's on the web under 80070005, I've tried it.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

Hi,

There are a number of known installation problems for Win10 upgraders that don't correspond to publicly listed error codes. 

It would be helpful if we knew the Make/Model of the computer you have the failed WinX attempt on, as well as the Build year if you know that too.

The main issue is what version of Windows did you attempt to upgrade FROM?  Your post didn't say.  Since we are missing this information, we will need it to further diagnose your problem.  In the meantime, if your computer came with Win7/8/8.1 pre-loaded on it, you shouldn't have that problem, and most likely you'll simply need to download the FREE ISO file for WinX directly from Microsoft's website and install from there via cd/dvd or usb media. 

If your computer hardware was built prior to 2006, and it's an XP-era computer that was upgraded to Win7/8/8.1 you'll never be able to get the Win10 upgrade.  That's one of the reasons I'm asking you these questions.

Generally speaking, Microsoft has publicly stated in many online sources this week that if your hardware is capable of running Win7 SP1 or Win8.1, both the downloadeable upgrade to WinX and the clean install ISO file are guaranteed to work. 

If your computer was built in 2006 or after, the chances are good that you can solve your problems by doing a manual clean install with the ISO file downloaded media as described above.  If you have a modern computer, and that's defined as built in 2009 or after (Win7 released in 2009), you have a much better chance of it all working. 

Older computers also tend to have at least one of the following: (1) Windows registry corruption; (2) severe Malware-virus infection, and (3) failing or failed hard drive.  Any one or all 3 of these can cause your online upgrade attempt to fail.  Attempting to fix these yourself is a good idea before trying the upgrade again.  PLEASE ENSURE YOU BACKUP ANY AND ALL PERSONAL DATA FROM THAT COMPUTER TO EXTERNAL MEDIA PRIOR TO RE-ATTEMPTING THESE PROCEDURES OR RE-ATTEMPTING WINX UPGRADE AGAIN!!

Best of luck,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#3 incitefulnick

incitefulnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, BIGBEARJEDI.

I am running Windows 8.1 on an Intel i5-4430 3GHz

8gb RAM

64 bit OS

I have made a bootable USB and received the following error(s): The computer started using the Windows installation media.  Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally.

As well as: Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  the selected disk has an MBR partition table.  On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

#4 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply back.  It appears that you have a custom-built or self-built rig correct?  There are a whole slew of problems for WinX upgrades on self-built PC's; many of us Insider testers are focusing right now on the OEM or name brand computers (Dell, HP, Sony, Acer/Gateway, ASUS, etc.).  Since your Motherboard has a modern processor *i5*, it sounds like it was built after 2010 or so and that's good news.

The bad news is that UEFI-BIOS based machines have multiple settings that preclude you from booting an external device such as a usb flash drive or external dvd-burner for examples.  What I would do is try to figure out the BIOS settings on your Mobo (what brand is that; is it actually an Intel-branded Motherboard?  Model number please!).  Generally, you'll need to temporarily DISABLE your UEFI setting and change it to CSM mode.  And additionally, you will need to set your LEGACY CSM sub-setting to ENABLE external boot, otherwise no usb or dvd can launch during PC bootup time.  These settings have a variety of names, but mostly they look like what I wrote.  If that fails, you may also have to go into the STORAGE section of your UEFI BIOS and change in SATA MODE from AHCI-->IDE MODE.  This forces your disk controller chip on your Mobo to run in a slower speed SATA mode say 1.5Mbps instead of 3.0Mpbs/6.0Mbps, and allows backwards compatibility for OS installs.  Took me years to find this out!!

So, if you still can't get your usb WinX to boot; you can do a simple test such as downloading a free utility such as MEMTEST or SEATOOLS (RAM & Hard drive diagnostics), install to your formatted usb stick and see if your PC will boot from either of these.  If it can't, you probably have a series of settings in your Mobo UEFI-BIOS that are blocking external media boot.  If that's not resolvable, you may have to replace that Mobo.  You can also try calling Tech Support for your Mobo if available.  If it's Intel, you can get phone support on your Mobo, but it may cost you $$.  And be prepared to spend several hours on the phone to get this type of problem resolved.  Worst case, if the Tech discovers your Mobo has a fault, they may just tell you to replace it; best case they may send you a new one for free!

Another alternative you have is to take your PC into your local Computer Pro or store (Best Buy Geek Squad or MicroCenter) and pay them to get the WinX upgrade done, and you don't have to worry about all this stuff!!  <sorry!>.

It sounds like you might be a DIY guy, as am I, and you can attempt to figure it out yourself, but it's gonna be a challenge.  Other forums I volunteer on covering WinX upgrade stuff, we have yet to address your particular issue.  So, if any other Mods here have some other suggestions, I'm all ears; and am willing to learn some new tricks.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best of Luck, :smash:

<<<BBJ>>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users