Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

I hope this is the right place to post this apologies if not.

My Computer keeps freezing at random. the mouse won't move, Ctrl+Alt+del doesn't work so i have to switch the power off. It's been happening for over a week. it only happens once and rarely twice a day. a few days ago it went 2 days with out happening. very strange

It's a desktop with vista. i've tried scanning with Malwarebytes and also Avast & COMODO. all is clear

In the last 2 days "windows sidebar has stopped working" has happened. no idea if this is the same issue.

I looked at the event log and i found

Dozens of warnings dating back months for FilterManager

errors from Service Control manager Eventlog provider & DistributedCOM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried chkdsk scan but no idea which option to tick Automatically fix file system errors or Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

the first one wanted to schedule disk check the next time the computer is restarted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried sfc /scannow

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them"

Tried opening the log but access denied

I've had a few suggestions that it could be a fan problem, a Hard Drive failling or maybe a memory problem. also been recommened to try a registry clean but i'm unsure which program to trust

Hope someone can help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:15 PM

Hi KrazyMonkey,

it sounds bad so lets try a couple of things and see if we can pin it down.

Firstly do not run any registry program unless directed to by someone from this site, lots of them are not trustworthy.

First thing i would like to try is memtest, you need to create a disc and boot from it, the following link is the official memtest site, download it from there

http://www.memtest86.com/

The memtest ISO is already bootable, you just need to unzip the ISO and burn it to disc. In windows seven you can simply right click on the downloaded ISO and select "Burn Disc Image"

Then boot your pc and let it run 2 or 3 passes just to be sure, then let us know if it hit any errors, and if this raises more questions please feel free to ask.

Also it is definitely worth running chdsk and always tick both the boxes for Automatically fix file system errors & Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, reboot and see if it reports any problems at the end of the scan.

PS you do have all your important data backed up don't you ?

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 12 August 2015 - 06:17 PM.

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#3 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

When you say bad, do you mean dead Hard Drive? memory chip? or computer completely dead?

I'll have to buy a disc in the morning to do the memtest

I have my files, videos and pics saved on an external drive and most of the programs i have should be easy enough to reinstall.

Is it always recommended to clone?

Edited by KrazyMonkey, 12 August 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#4 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

Glad to hear you are backed up, i generally back up my files to external drives and really important stuff goes into a cloud service as well.

Some like to clone the entire Operating system, me i prefer to reinstall, mainly due to shifting requirements, using different OS's etc etc.

You should probably do both a clone backup with something like Macrium http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx and copy all of your important files onto external hard drives so you can sleep well at night :).

The reason i say it sounds bad is due to the fact she freezes and you have to resort to the power button to restart it, i assume that is what you meant when you said "so i have to switch the power off" hopefully you don't just flick the switch at the wall. The standard method is to push the power button on the pc and hold it for 4 'mississippis' and it should power down. That in itself is reassuring as it tells you the motherboard is responding. Anyway so its not a program freeze and its not virus or malware corruption (good job there :)), which leaves 2 main possibilities its hard drive corruption or hardware failure. Neither possibility is particularly good hence i said it sounds bad, sorry mate. Also i really don't think it's a fan issue due to the length of time the machine runs before crashing.

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 12 August 2015 - 07:43 PM.

Regards,
Phil

#5 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

The reason i say it sounds bad is due to the fact she freezes and you have to resort to the power button to restart it, i assume that is what you meant when you said "so i have to switch the power off" hopefully you don't just flick the switch at the wall. The standard method is to push the power button on the pc and hold it for 4 'mississippis' and it should power down. That in itself is reassuring as it tells you the motherboard is responding. Anyway so its not a program freeze and its not virus or malware corruption (good job there :)), which leaves 2 main possibilities its hard drive corruption or hardware failure. Neither possibility is particularly good hence i said it sounds bad, sorry mate. Also i really don't think it's a fan issue due to the length of time the machine runs before crashing.

Yeah, i press the button for 4 or 5 seconds, I'll get the Disc and do the memset in the morning (2am here in UK right now)

I thought of reinstalling windows from disc to make sure any problems with windows gets taken care of.

Cheers for helping.

#6 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

Nah run disk check and memtest first m8, cheers from sunny australia :D

Regards,
Phil

#7 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

I meant when/if i replace the hard drive.

I've burned the memtest you posted to disc but here http://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-Ram-with-MemTest86 it says it's out of date. should i just go with the one i've done?.

It also says i need to press several keys. should i follow the wikihow?

Thanks

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

The current version is 6.1.0  I would download that ISO and burn it to disc.  Reboot and (boot from the cdrom) if you need to change the boot options you can then follow the wiki.

As stated above you SHOULD run chkdsk at boot and let it scan and repair files.  You do not need to clear free space if that is one of the options.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 13 August 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#9 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

Tried to run chkdsk but got

Checking file system on C:

The Type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot open volume for direct access.

Windows has finished checking the disk.

Should i still run memset or does this point to something else?

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

How are you running it.  You cannot run it from a DOS window in vista.  The system has to reboot to unmount the drive you should use this video.  It should begin scanning when you let it reboot. You should still run memtest but after we get this drive figured out.

#11 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

OK  i'm not sure who "wikihow" are but i am sure of who the memtest guys are, they have been around forever, just burn the iso to a disc and boot from it. it should autorun if your bios is set to boot from cdrom first. If its not you will have to change it. Common bios instuctions can be found here

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bios.htm

With the disk check you need to start it in windows but it will fail and complain about the disc being in use or something, thats ok, just reboot your pc and the disk check should run before windows gets to the desktop, if it just reboots to the desktop without running any sort of long scan then try again it can be a bit finicky sometimes.

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 13 August 2015 - 04:20 PM.

Regards,
Phil

#12 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Wow it just occurred to me you said Avast & COMODO, mate you cannot run 2 antivirus programs on the one computer, remove comodo (i strongly recommend Avast Free AntiVirus) and see if that makes a difference.

Did the problem appear about the time you installed a second AV program?

http://philllfixit.com.au/goldenrules.html

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 13 August 2015 - 04:25 PM.

Regards,
Phil

#13 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

How are you running it.  You cannot run it from a DOS window in vista.  The system has to reboot to unmount the drive you should use this video.  It should begin scanning when you let it reboot. You should still run memtest but after we get this drive figured out.

That's how i ran it, tried 3 times. reboots, page with what i typed above appears and then continues to the log in page. I'll have another try but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. heard it can take hours.

Wow it just occurred to me you said Avast & COMODO, mate you cannot run 2 antivirus programs on the one computer, remove comodo (i strongly recommend Avast Free AntiVirus) and see if that makes a difference.

Did the problem appear about the time you installed a second AV program?

http://philllfixit.com.au/goldenrules.html

Had both running together for 3 or 4 years. i had a bad virus and was recommended to run Avast Anti Virus and COMODO firewall together.

#14 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Right well if you are just running comodo's firewall its not an issue.

Hmm you may have to run a disk check from a windows disk. You can just burn one if you don't have your original Vista disc. There's a good tutorial on running a disk check from a windows boot cd . . .

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

How did memtest go?

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 13 August 2015 - 05:11 PM.

Regards,
Phil

#15 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

"heard it can take hours."

about 52 is the longest i've seen myself (it worked coincidentally) but the average is under an hour . . .

Regards,
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users