Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something eating up my Physical memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ezpkns34

ezpkns34

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

When I run task manager, my computer's physical memory is typically in the 25-30% range when I'm not running any programs (outside of the ones I have running in the background all the time, which are included in the 25-30% range)

Anyways, over the past week, my computer has been starting to get slow & when I hit ctrl+alt+del and run task manager to see if anything obvious is causing the slowdown. I'll see that the physical memory is normally 50-75% and that Firefox is the most resource-intensive thing I have going and so I'll close that but the physical memory will still be abnormally high (like 40+%) even though I'll have nothing running except the basic stuff that like I said above only takes 25-30% of the memory. Typically if I'm just using the laptop to surf the web (I always use Firefox), then the Phys Mem is 40-45%

I ran an MBAM hyperscan last night & it found nothing. Today, I DLed & installed Windows updates (including a restart after it suggested it) and then ran a full MBAM scan of my laptop & it still found nothing

Here's a screenshot of my current task manager to show you what I'm referring to when I say Physical Memory since I don't know if it has a more specific name:

pFf3uWy.jpg

Also, it says there are 73 processes running, but I'm not running near as many processes as that. I'm sure there are background processes running on their own that are counted toward that total, but I don't recall seeing that high of a number there in previous times. Also, when the laptop is going slow, the CPU Usage will be anywhere from 10-40% and when I sort task manager by CPU, everything listed says 00

Even now, the computer is still a bit slow, in particular Firefox and anything involving Explorer (opening files, deleting files, etc)

Any ideas on what could potentially be the issue? Computer getting old or is there something hidden on here causing the headaches?

The laptop is a Dell XPS (L401X I believe) & runs on Win 7 Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

Could you take a screenshot just like you did except with the "Show processes from all users" checked? BTW, how much RAM do you have?

Edited by gigawert, 12 August 2015 - 05:20 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

4 GB RAM

L3nsr69.jpg

#4 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Firefox tends to eat up lots of RAM so try using the latest Internet Explorer or Chrome.

Have you tried defragmenting your drive lately and using a disk cleanup tool like the one built into Windows? Doing that may reduce your memory usage.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

Actually used Disk Cleanup not long ago (1-2 weeks tops) & like I said, I've always used Firefox & this is a new issue. I'm aware that Firefox will add an extra 15-20% onto my Memory Usage from years of experience but I'm fine with that trade off. Like I said, I can close FF & the memory use will still be 10+% higher than it has been for years

Closed FF & here you can see the Mem Use is 43% as opposed to the typical 25-30%

AYkZyf4.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users