Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Black screen of death", PC hangs and switches off peripherals

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Aurelis

Aurelis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

· OS - Windows 10
· x64
· Orignally Vista then Windows 8
· Full retail PRO version
· 7 years
· I've installed Windows 10 a week ago

· cpu - Core 2 Duo e8500
· gpu - nvidia geforce 970 gtx
· motherboard
- asus striker 2 formula
· Power Supply - thermaltake toughpower 1500W

· Desktop

Recently i've updated my pc to Windows 10 and now my it keeps crashing/hanging quite often (at least once every 4-5 hours), only while im in game (maybe its luck or maybe its CPU/GPU load).

Basically the "shutdown sound" plays, my game freezes, my monitor goes black, my keyboard switches off but apparently the pc continues working since i can hear teamspeak (for example) in the background. Nothing else works and the only thing i can do is hard reboot. Unfortunately because of that no minidump is created, nothing is mentioned in windows event journal (except unexpected shutdown) and i have no idea what is happening or why. Its almost as if PC switches off videocard and monitor and all peripherals but doesn't reboot.

I've tried running SysnativeBSODCollectionApp but it gets stuck on "waiting for system information". It did create some files which i zipped up and included along with perfmon report.

I've run several hdd tests (crystal disk info, hdd tune pro, acronis disk doctor, western digital hdd tool) and 2 of those (crystal disk and hdd tune pro) showed 1 bad sector in non system drive while the other two showed healthy/fine disks. My system is on ssd drive which is healthy according to all 4 tests.

I've also tested RAM on memtest86 and it did not found any errors in one full pass. And i am running driver verifier with no BSOD so far.

Right now i believe that the culprit might be bad video cards drivers (there was only one driver release for windows 10) or some interactions between software and hardware under Windows 10.

Im not sure what to do next. Im in a process of upgrading my pc with Skylake cpu, new pcu, new ram and motherboard but i really want to know whether the issue is with my drives, my video card or my windows since i want to keep all 3 of those.

Additionally i've encountered some other issues after updating to Windows 10 which might or might not be related to the issue above:

1) Audio in flash/youtube videos sometimes stutters. Skipping to another fragment and back or reloading the page fixes the issue. This never happened before and im assuming could be related to graphics drivers.

2) Some software like lcdhost, logitech gaming software, aida64 behaves strangely - sometimes applications hang, sometimes they do not load, sometimes they unload. I've actually had one BSOD 4 days ago related to AIDA64 which produced minidump but it seems to have been fixed with the beta release.

3) Windows event journal mentions some issues with winnit and service control manager/_session1.

Attached Files

Edited by Aurelis, 13 August 2015 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:10 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding.

If you still need help with this, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Your post said that you'd run some of the tests, so feel free to skip those that you've run.  As the graphics card is a possible suspect, please be sure to run those tests and let us know the results.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2402) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Сетевой контроллер NVIDIA nForce    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0373&SUBSYS_CB841043&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&88    Это устройство отключено.
NVIDIA High Definition Audio    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0071&SUBSYS_10438508&REV_1001\7&2CBF1AA9&0&0001    Это устройство работает нормально.

The first item is your nVidia nForce networking driver while the second is for the High Definition audio that' often a part of the video card.

As such, you'll have to update both to the latest, Win10 compatible version.

As there are no drivers for later than Win7 here:  http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/30655/en-us

I'd have to wonder if this system has reached it's limit of upgradability and just isn't compatible w/Win10

Should you decide to keep working on this, download the latest version of the chipset and video drivers for your system from nVidia

Then run them in Compatibility Mode for the version that they were intended for (for example, you'll run the chipset drivers in Compatibility Mode for Win7 - as that's the latest version that's available).

There are many Live Kernel Events listed in the WER section of MSINFO32:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

There are no memory dumps in the uploaded reports, yet there's at least 4 BSOD's reported in the WER section of MSINFO32.

Please do this:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:46 AM

As for test on carrona site - i've run memtest86 for 5 full passes for 5 hours without errors.

I've run gputest and furmark for 2 hours without any errors.

I've run intel cput diagnostic tool without any issues as well.

I've checked my pc for malware and used ccleaner just in case.

There are no new bios upgrades, i've got the latest one.

The disabled devices in device manager are "nvidia hd audio driver" and second ethernet driver. I've reinstalled new nvidia drivers including hd audio and it is now working. I've disabled the second ethernet driver manually couple of days ago so its not an issue.

As for those minidumps... my system unfortunately did not produce any. I've had one minidump related to AIDA64 crash but thats it. It was unfortunately deleted when i used ccleaner. If i had minidumps i would've uploaded them or checked them myself and it would've been so much easier :/

As for the limit of upgradeability... i agree on that and thats why im buying skylake. I am however worrier that the issue might still be with the video card or hd drives and might carry over to the new system.

I am also thinking about clean windows 10 install since this might be a simple drivers compatibility issue. I've got latest nvidia chipset drivers... which are of course also very old. Some of them were overwritten by newer windows issues drivers which are from 2013.

I've got latest nvidia drivers which were released two days ago. I've installed them separately and cleaned everything in safe mode prior to that. I did not install nvidia experience so now i don't have that nvidiabackend process which used up to 40% of cpu. Im not sure how to run drivers in compatibility mode though.

Lasty - i've got g19s keyboard and i can see all my temps on my small lcd monitor as well as in AIDA64. Nothing is out of ordinary there. I've got asus gtx970 which doesn't use fan until its above 65C and it runs on 35-40CC while idling. My CPU is overclocked so its runs slightly higher than it should at 35C while idling and 50C during 100% loads. North and south bridge are running hot at 70-75CC and 60C but thats a common feature of that motherboard. Harddrives are running below 30C.

I've included admin.evtx file which has a lot of issues which i don't understand. I saved it with English information... i think. It prompted me to use different languages so it could be read on different pc's and i've selected English (US).

I've been able to fix some issues from the event viewer like media center planned tasks, google update services and some others but i have no idea what "_session1" or "local activation com clsid" errors are. I've also run sfc /scannow and it seems to have fixed some of the issues.

Attached Files

Edited by Aurelis, 15 August 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:37 AM

What were the results of Prime95 and the hard drive diagnostics?

Many, many app and services errors in the Admin log

Some suggestions:

- reregister your apps in the Windows Store:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps

- Run this:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

If that doesn't fix things, then you may want to consider doing a Refresh of the system:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

I've run 4 different hdd test and 2 of them shown 1 bad sector on a non system drive. I've run prime95 for some time and nothing happened but ill post if i get the crash. I've had a "black screen" hang yesterday again. PC continued to work in the background and i could hear sound but everything else was switched off. Even though keyboard was still lit it did not respond and even unplugging and plugging it did not help.

I've run sfc.exe /scannow couple of days ago and it found a lot of issues some of which apparently it couldn't correct.

I've re-registered my windows apps and im running those 3 dism commands right now. Ill post if i get black screen again.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth told me that it could not find original files that it needs to do a restore. I've uploaded dism and sfc logs if that helps.

As to refreshing the system - i've decided to do a clean windows 10 install when i get my skylake motherboard and cpu. Originally i've had Vista which i never reinstalled in about 5 years, even though i did several restores. I've installed Windows 8 on top of that and never did fresh install either. Now i've installed windows 10 on top Windows 8 without fresh install again. Im just assuming that its time to do it and clean everything anyway.

I was wondering whether there is an app which logs everything that is happening on PC software and hardware and driver wise so i could use it and find out what's happening during and prior those black screens?

UPD:

Several black screens happened again. Usually during antivirus scan or while watching youtube videos. I've tried changing antivirus software but it didn't help. Also i've experienced some weird hangs which did not produce any black screens but made my pc stall almost completely so i was forced to hard reboot anyway. I've run surface hdd scans on all 3 drivers over night and nothing happened. 

It looks like a sudden hdd issue or a driver issue, or even page memory/video card issue but i can't seem to pinpoint exact cause of those black screens. Also i don't understand how upgrading to windows 10 caused all of this in the first place. I can say that after i run all those dism commands and scans i've got a lot more black screens and hangs than i ever had before.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.zip   42.34KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  cbs.zip   2.09MB   0 downloads

Edited by Aurelis, 18 August 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

Process Monitor is the best program to see what's happening - but it doesn't read the early stages of POST, nor the late stages of shutdown (before/after the essential Windows structures are gone from memory).
But it's a complicated tool and requires a lot of work, experience, and knowledge to apply it properly.

It's free from there:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/Library/bb896645.aspx

Download it and give it a try - if only to see all the stuff that it shows!

I've run 4 different hdd test and 2 of them shown 1 bad sector on a non system drive.

Disconnect that drive (Disconnect the data cable from the motherboard, and remove the power cable also) for a couple of days and see if that helps.

There is a way to specify the source of the DISM files, but I'm not familiar with it.
Search for it for Win8 and that should help.  Try this also:  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html

Update video drivers to Win10 versions - get any other drivers that you can for Win10 (there's not a lot out there).

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports again:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#7 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

I was able to run dism command and repair the issues while specifying an image to use, after that i was able to use sfc /scannow and repair the issues it found. Now both commands show that there are no issues/corruption present.

I was able to fix all of the issues in the event viewer by disabling some services or reinstalling apps from the windows store. After that i've cleared an event viewer and done some reboots to check out if some other issues pop up. During one of those i've got blacks screen right after boot and had to do a hard reboot again. On the next boot the event viewer mentioned nvlddmkm several times and said that it has restored unresponsive video driver on the previous boot even though my screen remained black. I've got latest nvidia drivers installed after i cleaned everything related to nvidia in safe mode. Not sure if i can do anything else about it. I've checked my video card over and over again with furmark without any issues as well.

As for the temps i've already explained that i've got AIDA64 and g19s keyboard to which i output all of the relevant info including temperature. I've also got hwmonitor which shows the same temps as AIDA64.

I don't have any 41 errors anymore either.

I've included the results. SysnativeBSODCollectionApp got stuck on waiting for system info again but this appears to be due my system not being in English and its a known issue. I've manually zipped everything it created.

Attached Files

Edited by Aurelis, 18 August 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:15 AM

HW Monitor will also display max temps - that's why I suggest it despite any other programs that are present.

The unresponsive video driver thing is actually a STOP 0x117 error (it becomes a STOP 0x116 BSOD when the system fails to recover it).

I'm pretty confident that this issue is due to immature video drivers for W10 (but don't buy new stuff based on this opinion).

Can you test the video card in another system (even if it's W7 or W8)?  That'll help assure you that the card is good to use in a new system.

Unfortunately, things these days are so intertwined that it's difficult to figure out what to place the blame on.

In the old days (XP), a black screen was due to video drivers - period.  If you didn't fix it with drivers, then you replaced the card - period.

Now the black screen can be caused by many different components and drivers - and there's no reliable test protocol to help diagnose the exact issue.

Techs fiddle around with the things that they have seen work in the past - but after a while they give up and resort to a wipe and reinstall or a new system.

At work we don't have weeks to work on a system - the users want them back ASAP.  So we try System Restore and then go for the wipe and reinstall (W8 and below).  We're still honing our techniques on W10, but most often we'll end up reverting to the previous OS.  We do spend more time working on W10 than we do with W8/7/Vista/XP - as we're still learning and honing our techniques.  But the customers still want their systems back ASAP.

Here's a trick that I used on several Asus G20AJ desktops that had black screen issues w/W10 update.  It may help you (if you're able to do it)>

Go into Safe Mode, open up Device Manager, and uninstall all of the display adapters (right click and select "Uninstall")

Reboot into normal mode and see if the problems have gone away (don't install any new video drivers).  Try it for a while before attempting to install new video drivers.

Interestingly, there's only 1 entry in the Admin log file - an error in DNS lookup for OCZtechnologyforums

Have you been cleaning the system with any tools like CCleaner?  If so, please don't use it while we're troubleshooting.

Although there's only 1 entry in the Admin logfile, there's lot's of stuff in the System logfile (in the Sysnative upload).

Many, many entries relating to AIDA.  I'm not able to translate, so could you please let us know what this word is:

- Ñâåäåíèÿ - most likely means "Information" (simply because it's the most often repeated word)  BTW - if that's the case, then the System and Application logfiles are the cleanest that I've ever seen.

Just FYI - the 4 words I look for after the word "Level: " (space is intentional) are: Information, Warning, Error, Critical

You have both Avast and BitDefender installed.  Only have 1 antivirus and 1 firewall resident in memory at the same time.  They often will fight with each other for control over the scanning - and may even miss infections because they're too busy fighting.

Beyond that, you may want to revert back to Vista or 7 to see if the system remains stable with that.

That'll tell you that the components are still good - and that it's the drivers that are the problem.

FWIW - I'm restoring a Toshiba laptop that came with Vista (x86) right now.  I'll upgrade it to W7 today, but will warn them not to update to W10 because of it's age.

Note to self - gotta remember to hide the W10 update nag stuff! :0)

#9 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

Here's a trick that I used on several Asus G20AJ desktops that had black screen issues w/W10 update.  It may help you (if you're able to do it)>
Go into Safe Mode, open up Device Manager, and uninstall all of the display adapters (right click and select "Uninstall")
Reboot into normal mode and see if the problems have gone away (don't install any new video drivers).  Try it for a while before attempting to install new video drivers.

I did that couple of days ago and i've used an utility to delete everything related to nvidia drivers in safe mode as well. If i don't install drivers windows just installs some generic ones anyway but i guess i could try it.

I've had another black screen and hang few hours ago and event viewer mentioned nvlddmkm driver so i've reverted back to some older video drivers i used before windows 10.

Interestingly, there's only 1 entry in the Admin log file - an error in DNS lookup for OCZtechnologyforums
Have you been cleaning the system with any tools like CCleaner?  If so, please don't use it while we're troubleshooting.

Yes i've cleaned the logs ones after i've corrected all the issues i could find.

Although there's only 1 entry in the Admin logfile, there's lot's of stuff in the System logfile (in the Sysnative upload).

Many, many entries relating to AIDA.  I'm not able to translate, so could you please let us know what this word is:

- Ñâåäåíèÿ - most likely means "Information" (simply because it's the most often repeated word)  BTW - if that's the case, then the System and Application logfiles are the cleanest that I've ever seen.

Just FYI - the 4 words I look for after the word "Level: " (space is intentional) are: Information, Warning, Error, Critical

Unfortunately that word is in some gibberish coding. If you could point out the file i should be looking at ill search it for events mentioning AIDA. EvtxSysDump.txt metiones AIDA several times and it says "Процесс Q:\AIDA64\aida64.exe (ИД процесса: 5288)" which is "Process" "ID Process". There are also few mentions in other files but i don't see anything related to errors.

You have both Avast and BitDefender installed.  Only have 1 antivirus and 1 firewall resident in memory at the same time.  They often will fight with each other for control over the scanning - and may even miss infections because they're too busy fighting.

I only have avast installed. I've uninstalled BitDefender half a year ago. Where did you find it? Im pretty sure i've cleaned it thoroughly but might have missed something. I've found one empty start menu folder mentioned in MSInfo32.nfo. Other than that i don't have anything related to BitDefender on my pc.

Beyond that, you may want to revert back to Vista or 7 to see if the system remains stable with that.

I've had windows 8.1 which was stable prior to windows 10. I've saved a backup of my system just in case i need to revert. I've also ordered skylake parts yesterday, so ill be doing clean install anyway when i get them.

Edited by Aurelis, 19 August 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

I search the logfiles for the word "Level: " and the word after it is (on English versions) either Information, Warning, Error, or Critical

Those are the 4 classes of entries in Event Viewer.  As I can't search the log for it (since it's gibberish), then there's no need to figure it out.

I found BitDefender in the Program Groups section of the MSINFO32 report.

I still suspect the video drivers, but there's really nothing that we can do about them right now.

Waiting for a more stable platform will help, but I can't help but wonder if the black screens will continue.

Good luck!

#11 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

Well i did not have a blackscreen since i reverted to an older driver yesterday but i just had a slowdown/hang again. Everything seemed to continue working but wasn't responsive. Its probably a windows issues might as well just give up.

I've reverted back to windows 8.1. I think its the only way to know whether the issue was hardware or software.

Edited by Aurelis, 20 August 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

We revert a lot of systems at work.

And on some, the revert will also hang.

We end up wiping and reinstalling just enough to get the update going.
We also have a proprietary tool (can't share outside of work) that will scan for some troubles before installing.

Then we see if the OS functions well the way it is.

If it still has problems, then it's time to move back to the previous OS.

#13 Aurelis

Aurelis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

Well so far i did not have any issues after reverting to windows 8.1. I guess this was a software issue after all. I will get skylake parts tommorow and will do a clean install of windows 10, then ill know for sure.

But it does seems like it was a driver and compatibility issue, probably related to the age of system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users