Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS change no Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

I tried to change my DNS to the google servers:

But I could not connect to the internet at all.  I had to go back in to IPv4 properties and change to "connect automatically."

I was able to change my DNS before. But something is different. I was using Win 7 pro 64 bit my OEM copy, but my HDD died and had to replace. I have to use Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit for the time being. 

I am playing with DNS because I am getting 504 Gateway Timeout Errors and because alternative DNS servers are said to be potentially less censored. 

Any suggestions appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

I  have to eat crow here.  I made a mistake in inputting the DNS numbers. I put one DNS number in the IP address field in the top have of IPv4 properties, 

I should have put in both DNS numbers in the 2 fields in the bottom half of the dialog box. 

Thread RESOLVED. 

Edited by Achaemenid, 13 August 2015 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users