Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long delay before POST

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Force-IX

Force-IX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

I put together a system several months ago that experienced a long delay when first booting.  I tinkered with the issue without success until a few weeks ago when I decided to do a format and clean install of Windows 7 x64.  This solved the problem for a week or so, up until I continued to install software and update drivers.  I have spent much of the last few weeks troubleshooting and I believe I've narrowed it down to an issue involving the graphics card, so I'm hoping someone can toss out some possible fixes I haven't come up with yet.

Gigabyte Z97-HD3 Rev. 1.0

Intel Pentium G3258

G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

Crucial CT256MX100SSD1

XFX Radeon HD 6670

Thermaltake TR2 430W

Samsung optical drive

2 WD SATA drives

After I reinstalled Win7, the OS would load within 15 seconds of pushing the power button.  But, then the delay reappeared and it's anywhere from 30-80 seconds after pushing power to the POST screen, which only appears for a few seconds before Windows loads normally.  When I pull the graphics card and run off the integrated graphics, I can't replicate the delay.  I have tried tweaking the BIOS with the card installed, although it's possible I overlooked something there.  From the amount of research I've done on this, it sure appears that many similar situations of people complaining about boot delays have involved Gigabyte boards. 

I would appreciate any insight into what could be happening during that delay before things finally start up.  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

Found this on the web while searching..

In the Motherboard BIOS-

Disable Intel Processor Graphic ( if not : slow boot time )

Trouble is.. if you do that and you need to troubleshoot your own graphics card or your graphics card dies etc.. and you have disabled onboard graphics.. You will probably have to reset cmos to get video again.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

That board unlike the high end Gigabyte boards may not have auto switching for the graphics, which would make it default to the chip.  IMO YeahBleeping hit the nail on the head.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 Force-IX

Force-IX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

Found this on the web while searching..

In the Motherboard BIOS-

Disable Intel Processor Graphic ( if not : slow boot time )

Trouble is.. if you do that and you need to troubleshoot your own graphics card or your graphics card dies etc.. and you have disabled onboard graphics.. You will probably have to reset cmos to get video again.

Thanks for the reply.  I had disabled the Intel Processor Graphics without success.  It was quite frustrating, LOL.  More on this topic below.

#5 Force-IX

Force-IX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

That board unlike the high end Gigabyte boards may not have auto switching for the graphics, which would make it default to the chip.  IMO YeahBleeping hit the nail on the head.

AMD released a new driver within the last two weeks and I just installed it.  I've gone through several cold boots and there is no delay.  I'm cautiously optimistic here, but I'll hold off on any system changes for a while until I'm more confident the issue has been solved.  For all the time I've spent on this, I really didn't think it was going to come down to a driver issue because when I reinstalled the OS on July 24 I had updated to the latest version at the time.  And things were fine for about a week, so I'm still wondering what happened. 

I'll mention that pulling the video card caused my Windows Activation to kick in, but after reinstalling the card and typing my product key back in all was well.  I appreciate the replies and hopefully the delay issue is closed.

#6 Force-IX

Force-IX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

And now the delay is back, 83 seconds before POST.  When Windows started, however, there was a Windows Update message stating it was configuring and another stating it was cleaning up.  I checked installed updates and I haven't had any in over a week.  Now I'm wondering what's going on behind the scenes without my approval in addition to having my delay issue return.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

All of my windows PC's updated in the last 3 or 4 days and yes a system will install and configure updates upon a reboot to update files that it was unable to update while the machine was running. (files in use).  Did you try another reboot after the update?

#8 Force-IX

Force-IX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

All of my windows PC's updated in the last 3 or 4 days and yes a system will install and configure updates upon a reboot to update files that it was unable to update while the machine was running. (files in use).  Did you try another reboot after the update?

Yes, I did try a couple of cold starts after it "updated."  That's when I discovered the delay is back.  I have my updates on Notify Me, so I'm just not sure what it was updating, but that is a secondary issue to me right now. 

Back to the problem... I'm just home from work and I started up with no delay.  This is getting to be quite maddening.  While the card seemingly operates flawlessly, I'm beginning to wonder if it is beginning to fail.  Another thought has been a low CMOS battery, but then, I don't have any delay when the card is pulled.

Something has to account for the inconsistent behavior of the delay.  I'm thinking a hardware issue is the most logical explanation.  I suppose it could be the slot where the card is installed.  If it's a failing video card, is there any other symptoms that I would observe while the system is on?  Or, could the firmware on the card be failing and still leave the card operating normally?  Looking for a video card expert here.  :wink:

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

Did you ever update the bios for this board?  I noticed there were several on gigbyte's page for the board.  I am kinda reaching for staws here unless the video card is simply bad in some way.

#10 Force-IX

Force-IX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

This is an XFX card and to my knowledge there is no way to update it.  I found something on a site that isn't connected to XFX or AMD, but I'm not going to get into that.

I think I'll swap out the battery since they don't cost much.  I'm about out of ideas also, and I'm close to pulling the card and running off the integrated graphics or just buying another inexpensive card.  I don't play games on this system so my needs are not extreme.

Thanks for your input. 

Oh, and I just re-read your post.  Yes, the Gigabyte mainboard is updated to the latest BIOS.

Edited by Force-IX, 13 August 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

When you removed the card did it go back into the same slot?  If so try the other slot there may be an issue in that slot.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

I thought of something else though I don't know why it would only happen when you put the video card in.  In your bios' boot order options do you have allow USB and Network boot.  Maybe try turning those off.

#13 Force-IX

Force-IX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

Thanks, gentlemen.  I'll look into both of those suggestions and keep testing.  I muddle on until I get another occurrence of the delay, but sometimes it takes some time before I can try something else out.

#14 Force-IX

Force-IX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

I thought I'd wrap this up for anyone with a similar situation that is digging for info.  I'm both happy and disappointed to report I haven't had any more issues.  I would have liked to have nailed down the exact cause for my problem, but unfortunately I can't.  And while I haven't had a delay for several days now, I've had enough frustration overall that I expect it to return eventually and my best guess is something physically malfunctioning with the Radeon card.  I'm just going to take this opportunity to upgrade it and I purchased a newer Nvidia card,

I appreciate all of your feedback and the time you spent assisting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users