Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading old system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 REBStorage

REBStorage

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

A friend of mine brought to me this computer to fix a couple of things that lead to a full reinstall of the OS. However, i've been asked also if it is possible to upgrade it without using much money, the only usage of this computer is a family use and i've been told that nobody is an hardcore gamer or use editing softwares, for the use i've been asked to prepare this computer to, i've seen that it is surely needed to buy a Graphic Card (at the moment it is running the Intel Graphics integrated) and maybe a couple of things.

Here is the actual configuration, if it looks like really old it is because it is really old, it's dated 2003 on the case.

CPU: Intel Celeron D1 2.60 Ghz Northwood

DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES: JLMS XJ-HD166S

Graphic Card: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (intel Extreme Graphics 3d AGP)

Network card: missing it was the Realtek RTL8139 PCI but it was damaged and broken so i removed it.

Socket: Socket 478

Ram: 512+512 DDR = 1 GB

Actually, the things i think are needed the most are the Graphic Card and the Network card. Whilst i should be able to get a network  card for free, i cannot say the same for the Graphic Card.

The aim is to spend as less as possible but get some specs at least:

-Able to support DirectX v9.0c, Shader version 2.0 capable and at least 256-512 MB of VRAM

The clock of the integrated graphic card is 250 MHz, so obviously i'm looking for something better.

I wouldn't have had any difficult in finding a low price Graphic Card if it was PCI-Ex16 but the only slots available are normal PCI.

Any idea of any graphic card or at least of any place i could look for PCI cards without browse the whole warehouse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

I would say the only way to boost this computer's performance is to up the memory to 4gb.  (assuming it is possible) Why update the graphics card?  If no one games so the current one should be fine.  If the old graphcs card is an AGP then you should put an AGP card back in it.

If you provide a link to the speccy or give us the model of the pc we may be able to gleen more information and provide you with more information on what upgrades are possible.

#3 REBStorage

REBStorage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

Emachines 420 is the PC.

No ones do hardcore gaming but sometimes old games are played on that computer and a non-integrated gpu would be better, expecially considering the gpu we're talking about.

The Graphic Card integrated is the one listed above, but although it says AGP, there are only PCI slots for non-integrated graphic cards so i'm looking for a pci card.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

I would recommend this gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557&cm_re=low_profile_gpu-_-14-127-557-_-Product

This page shows that your pc has 2gbs max ram and where to purchase it. http://www.memoryx.com/em420me.html

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 REBStorage

REBStorage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

The Gpu you suggested is for PCI-E 2.0 x16 or at least so says the link you pasted.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

Would this work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139050&cm_re=low_profile_gpu_pci-_-14-139-050-_-Product

Not really sure if it's regular pci, but it's the closest thing I found.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 ship_kicker

ship_kicker

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

Eww, emachines. :)
Anyway, I would max the ram and look into possibly a new CPU.

Also about maxing the ram...
Sometimes you can go higher than what the manufacturer says. I've put 4 gb in a "max" 2gb Dell Dimension.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

I'm always curious...what's the purpose/reasoning behind the urge to "upgrade" a system that served its purpose for over 10 years?  What will be gained by spending money on this system...that could not be gained better by purchasing a more recent model refurb?

Louis

#9 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:41 PM

BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!

Just use it for internet stuffs!

Load linux on it and surf the net like a mad man! Plus linux has lots of free games that will run on old hardware!

I Love Lamp!

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

when i think of upgrades, i think of motherboards and CPU. the motherboard must be solid, as it holds the keys to the OS and if it flys the coup, so does the OS license (with the exception being Using the Linux flavors for OS). the CPU, in this case a celeron D, is not worthy of upgrade if you want decent MIPS (million instructions per second). it is fine for using the PC as a communication tool, but not alot more than that.

as mentioned above, it is prolly best to ponder a new or OEM refurbished PC platform, they are reasonably priced ATM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

when i think of upgrades, i think of motherboards and CPU. the motherboard must be solid, as it holds the keys to the OS and if it flys the coup, so does the OS license (with the exception being Using the Linux flavors for OS). the CPU, in this case a celeron D, is not worthy of upgrade if you want decent MIPS (million instructions per second). it is fine for using the PC as a communication tool, but not alot more than that.

as mentioned above, it is prolly best to ponder a new or OEM refurbished PC platform, they are reasonably priced ATM.

However, if you keep your os keys in a safe place (I.e. written down) you won't have to worry about that. Personally I just memorize mine.

Edited by Captain_Chicken, 23 August 2015 - 09:41 PM.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users