Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't let me open 'launcher.exe'

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 willkoman

willkoman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Alright,

So I've been having some issues with a game I've been trying to play. the executable for it is called Launcher.exe and whenever I click on it, the following message appears,

Windows cannot find '[pathhere]\launcher.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

So out of curiousity, I've renamed the launcher to 'game.exe' and it launched.

So I tried to rename a working exe file to launcher and for whatever reason got the same error message.

It may be a virus but i fully scanned my system with kaspersky and it didn't find anything.

What should I do?

Running Windows 7 Home Edition with AMD Phenom II 1045T

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

Hi. . .

Go to the location actual known location of Launcher.exe and create a new Desktop shortcut.

What is the scratched out location?  No need to tell us if private, but I suspect that it may be your user profile...?

If it's an installed app, it should be running out of \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) (if 32-bit)

There is nothing about the name "Launcher.exe" that would prevent Windows from running it (using that name). 

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 12 August 2015 - 03:38 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 willkoman

willkoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

Hi. . .

Go to the location actual known location of Launcher.exe and create a new Desktop shortcut.

What is the scratched out location?  No need to tell us if private, but I suspect that it may be your user profile...?

If it's an installed app, it should be running out of \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) (if 32-bit)

There is nothing about the name "Launcher.exe" that would prevent Windows from running it (using that name). 

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Hi jcgriff2,

The scratched out location was actually the path of a game (to avoid comments like 'contact the game devs').

Anyways, The file is actually installed under a different path due to my C drive not having enough space to fully store a large game (50GB drive with 20GB free).

What really confuses me though is that no matter what executable I rename to launcher.exe, the file doesn't work.

So apparently it's not just an issue with that path, but my entire system!

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Hi. . .

If you go to the actual location of Launcher.exe on the other drive (I assume it is NOT on your c: drive...?) and double-click on it, does the game start-up?

My only other thoughts on this at this time is that there may be some hard-coding in the game's source code that requires the entire program installation to be on your c: drive, which obviously is not a good coding practice if true because of situations just like yours. In general, you should be able to install any program on the drive of your choice.

Is there something else (other files) on drive c: that you could move to the other drive (s) to make room for the game on drive c: ?

One option to free up space on drive c: is to reduce the amount of space being used by Windows System Restore -

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista-tutorials/10908-windows-system-restore-configure-restore-point-space-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

There is one other space reducing measure that comes to mind that will delete outdated/unnecessary (no longer needed) pre-Windows 7 SP1 related files on drive c: (assuming that drive c: is your OS drive) -- The "Disk Cleanup Wizard" - which a Windows legacy executable -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2852386

If you do run the Disk Cleanup Wizard, be sure to create a Windows System Restore point first - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista-tutorials/10909-windows-system-restore-create-restore-point-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Did you try to create a new Desktop shortcut for the game's Launcher.exe file? Or is there no point in doing so because Launcher.exe simply will not run?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT:

p.s. Contacting the game developers is certainly an option here, but I doubt they would be much help in all honesty.  They would likely just tell you to install it on drive c: -- period.

I myself rarely ever solely advise members to do so; I always try and provide some kind of alternative(s).

After all, you took the time to post your question here  and the least we can do is try and help you install the game as you wish to do so.

Edited by jcgriff2, 12 August 2015 - 04:46 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#5 willkoman

willkoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

Hi. . .

If you go to the actual location of Launcher.exe on the other drive (I assume it is NOT on your c: drive...?) and double-click on it, does the game start-up?

My only other thoughts on this at this time is that there may be some hard-coding in the game's source code that requires the entire program installation to be on your c: drive, which obviously is not a good coding practice if true because of situations just like yours. In general, you should be able to install any program on the drive of your choice.

Is there something else (other files) on drive c: that you could move to the other drive (s) to make room for the game on drive c: ?

One option to free up space on drive c: is to reduce the amount of space being used by Windows System Restore -

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista-tutorials/10908-windows-system-restore-configure-restore-point-space-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

There is one other space reducing measure that comes to mind that will delete outdated/unnecessary (no longer needed) pre-Windows 7 SP1 related files on drive c: (assuming that drive c: is your OS drive) -- The "Disk Cleanup Wizard" - which a Windows legacy executable -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2852386

If you do run the Disk Cleanup Wizard, be sure to create a Windows System Restore point first - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista-tutorials/10909-windows-system-restore-create-restore-point-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Did you try to create a new Desktop shortcut for the game's Launcher.exe file? Or is there no point in doing so because Launcher.exe simply will not run?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT:

p.s. Contacting the game developers is certainly an option here, but I doubt they would be much help in all honesty.  They would likely just tell you to install it on drive c: -- period.

I myself rarely ever solely advise members to do so; I always try and provide some kind of alternative(s).

After all, you took the time to post your question here  and the least we can do is try and help you install the game as you wish to do so.

Hi,

So regarding your advice, I must inform that although I tried your advice, it proved no use.

It seems my system just WANTS to refuse opening any program by the name of 'launcher'.

The game works just fine on my other machine which also has it installed on a drive other than C so to me it seems as though Something on my computer is either corrupt or infected.

At this point I don't think that the game in particular serves much purpose compared to the problem of not being able to run ANYTHING by the name of launcher.

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

This is very odd.

Try uninstalling the game, then reinstalling.

I renamed an app here on my system Launcher.exe and it ran fine.

I agree with you that it must be something involving your local system.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#7 willkoman

willkoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

Just performed every antivirus test I could, nothing changed. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Still no luck.

Maybe a registry issue?

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

The Registry is a big place (actually small in comparison to today's large HDDs).

There could be something somewhere in the registry blocking that file name, but it could be anywhere. I have no idea what could have possibly created such an entry, assuming one exists.

You could do a search for Launcher.exe in regedit.

If you rename another EXE file to Launcher.exe -- would it run?

Download this EXE; save to Desktop or Documents & rename it to  Launcher.exe; see if it will then run -- double-click on it.

http://www.sysnative.com/apps/netsh_lan_wlan_jcgriff2_.exe

All that app does is gather network info; writes it to a text file; opens a Notepad containing the info.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users