Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot properly, persistent black screen with movable mouse cursor

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 quizlacey

quizlacey

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hi,

I have a 4 year old Windows 7 laptop which has suddenly started playing up. Last night, I received a runtime error, which when I clicked OK shut down Explorer and removed the start bar from my screen. I was unable to get it back or to make my laptop restart via ctrl+alt+delete. When I forced a restart by removing the battery, I ended up with a black screen with a movable mouse cursor. The same happened when I tried to boot into safe mode, but with the standard 'Safe Mode' text in each screen corner, and Microsoft ® Windows ® (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) at the top edge of the screen.

Can anyone provide any help to revive my ailing laptop?

Thanks,

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quizlacey

quizlacey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:30 PM

An update on the situation as it's been a day.

I can't bring up standard desktop in safe mode, or by holding F8 and selecting the low resolution option. Weirdly, I can activate sticky keys, and can see the standard windows sticky keys dialogue box which pops up when you hit shift 5 times in a row.

There are plenty of 'try this' suggestions when I google the issue, but I'm holding off on trying anything at the moment, as I'm hoping the experts here will be awesome.

Cheers!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

When pressing F8 have you used the Last Known Good Configuration option?

If that does not work then try power-cycling the computer. Remove the battery and power adapter. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Plug in the power adapter but do not replace the battery. Reboot.

Do you have access to another Windows 7 computer or a Windows 7 install disk?

#4 quizlacey

quizlacey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:01 PM

Last Known Good Configuration gave me the same result, black screen.

Power cycling also gave me the same result, black screen.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

When you tap F8, There is an option to Repair your Computer? Do a System Restore to a date before the problem.

image_thumb2.png

D666e3cc879657a9f96577bc34ef09db97d0c9d2

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 August 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#6 quizlacey

quizlacey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Ahem. 

So, not proud of this, but... in 4 years it looks like I've never created a restore point.

Yeah, I know that this makes this self-inflicted...

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

See if doing a Startup Repair works. Most likely not but it is worth a try.

#8 quizlacey

quizlacey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

I just tried this, and it found no errors.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

Since you can access Sticky Keys see if following the steps in this video gets you to msconfig. The video is for Vista but should work for 7. This blank screen problem can also be the result of an infection.

#10 quizlacey

quizlacey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

OK, I can get to msconfig easily enough. I'm worried about an infection as well.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

If you get to msconfig uncheck the two items shown in the video and see if you can boot normally.

#12 quizlacey

quizlacey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

Back to the black screen.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

The only thing I can think of is to download Kaspersky Rescue Disk and use the Registry Editor to see if a certain key is valid or not. Download the iso file and burn it on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking and select Burn disk image. Boot the rescue disk and start the Registry Editor. Navigate to the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon explorer.exe should be the value of Shell with a REG_SZ as Type.

You can also use the disk to scan for infections. It is best to connect to the internet via Ethernet and not wireless. With Ethernet the rescue disk will update the virus definitions. But, do not do this until you can confirm the value of Shell under the Winlogon key.

#14 quizlacey

quizlacey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows 7 computer here, but I can get this sorted over the weekend at my parents. Can I create the rescue disk on USB and boot from that? I'm about 90% sure my CD/DVD drive isn't functional. I'm also going to borrow my Dad's Windows 7 disc in case I have to be a bit more drastic with how I solve the problem. The good news is my laptop isn't a primary computer, and there's nothing/very little on there that I can't afford to lose.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

Yes, you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Download it here. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Make sure your USB flash drive is in the first dropdown box. Where is says Freedos select iso image in the dropdown box and click on the folder icon. Browse to the Kaspersky iso file. Press start. Any current data on the USB flash drive will be wiped so backup the data first.

The rescue disk also has a File Manager which will let you copy any important files you have off the hard drive to another flash or external drive. Your drive will show as a folder on the desktop.

Kaspersky Rescue Disk - User Guide - Kaspersky Lab

Edit: While at your parents it would be a good idea to create an iso file of the Windows System Repair Disk. Normally you can only burn a disk but following these instructions you can create a iso file of the System Repair Disk. We may need this after checking the registry key with Kaspersky.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 August 2015 - 07:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users