Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To switch or not to switch?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

If this has been discussed in detail already, please link me to it.

But I've been pretty dissatisfied with W8. I saw Windows 10, and it had this friggin' horrible start menu. What is with the stupid -Blam-ing start menu square system? These squares are some fake imitation of "style", but they completely lack functionality. It's not only damn well disorganized, it doesn't really look good either, unless you were on Microsoft's developing team. Stupid squares.

Is Windows 10 really an improvement? The changes to the folders in Windows 8 were painful. My whole experience with using windows 8's folder system has just been pretty painful, to this day. Finding things, and getting places is consistently annoying, and difficult.

I doubt 

I want to switch to W7, and stay away from W10. I can't possibly imagine anything wrong with Windows 7. I think we can all agree that it hasn't been very bad at all. Is W10 a necessary improvement? The only reason I'm asking now, and considering upgrading to 10 is because I read Forbes saying that Microsoft said this is the last windows. And also, upgrading after this free period will be extremely expensive.

But this laptop I'm using here, I'm going to replace when I go to college......

Mainly, i'm interested about the evalutations from people who hated windows 8, wanted to return, and like me, wasn't so sure windows 10 would be a good idea. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kkoz83

kkoz83

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

Why are you not using 8.1?  The right-click-on-Start in 8.1 was a huge help.  Just remember Windows 7 ends support in 2020.

#3 Maurizio Ferreira

Maurizio Ferreira

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

I don't see any reason to switch to W10, if not to to make M$ happy.

I had W8, W8.1 and then I switched to W7.

I'll try to keep my W7 as long as I can, until some strong reason will force me to w10. Who knows ...

Maurizio.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hi Jimmy :)

We already have multiple threads on the subject. See my post below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585596/is-windows-10-worth-the-upgrade/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

Yes, Windows 7 is the best version till now, but Windows 10 is something better than Windows 8, because it's design is far better than previous windows.

If you are looking for better design and want to experience better user interface then you can switch to Windows 10. But I don't have any strong reason to switch to version 10 from version 7 or 8.

#6 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

I don't see any reason to switch to W10, if not to to make M$ happy.
I had W8, W8.1 and then I switched to W7.
Maurizio.

Hello Maurizio Ferreira.
Did you ever try to use Classic Shell on your Windows 8 / 8.1 ?

After reading the reviews when 8 / 8.1 first came out, I decided that it was the best way to go

EDIT, To add this site link ..
I have a Windows 8.1 desktop that looks like the Left side picture at This Download Site
I operate it 99% like a Windows 7 system, but I get updates for Windows 8 as it is Windows 8 with a slight face change.

I have never bothered with passwords on the desktop unit, because if they steal the box / screen and all bits, it would not matter..

Thanks ..

Edited by Jaycan, 12 August 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Force-IX

Force-IX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

Using Windows 7 on my laptop and desktop, wife using Windows 8.1 on her laptop.  I upgraded my laptop and my wife's laptop to Windows 10.  Briefly, here are my initial thoughts:

I'm leaving W10 on her laptop because W8 is a steaming pile of poo.  She likes 10 much better and it is a noticeable improvement over 8, albeit with some tweaks.

It's a bit different for my systems.  One of the first things I noticed about W10 was how deep Microsoft reaches into your privacy and personal information.  You really need to go into the settings and change the defaults.  A second major gripe I have is Windows Update pushing downloads on me without my approval.  I have always kept my update settings on Notify Me so I can decide what and when I download.  You can't do this with W10 and that is probably enough to prevent me from keeping it on my laptop or permanently installing it on my desktop anytime soon.  Besides, I still like W7 better anyway and it's rock solid.

I will likely roll back W10 on my laptop and tuck that away for another day.  I'll install it on my desktop and do the same thing, but unless they make some changes to W10 (which is possible) I'll continue using W7 until support ends.  I understand Microsoft isn't just going to give an OS away without them getting something in return (i.e. tons of personal info), but pushing updates without consent goes too far for me.  It's my *bleeping* computer, but they seem to think it's theirs.  ;-)

Edited by Force-IX, 12 August 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

Just so you know, we've known for a very long time now that Windows 10 Home wouldn't be able to manage the Windows Updates at all now, so I don't know why people react to it now.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Force-IX

Force-IX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:49 PM

Just so you know, we've known for a very long time now that Windows 10 Home wouldn't be able to manage the Windows Updates at all now, so I don't know why people react to it now.

I reacted to it because I wasn't aware of it until I upgraded.  Why does this offend you?

#10 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:08 AM

Thanks guys. I'll look in some of the other threads.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:18 AM

No problem Jimmy, you're welcome :)

And that didn't offend me Force, I was just saying that this is nothing new so there's no need to be surprised about it now.

unite_blue.png

#12 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Windows 10 Home wouldn't be able to manage the Windows Updates at all now,

Hi , Sorry it is after the weekend, and I have just got back to where I was about to install Windows 10. Reading that line has me a bit confused, I was about to upgrade my Windows 8.1 but I get regular updates for that O/S. First I noticed that the ISO that I wanted to cut, had "Use within 2 days" or words like that written under the directions, and now I notice that I wouldn't be able to manage the Windows Updates at all now.

Can you explain, or direct me to better information, on why I will not be able to get / manage the Windows Updates at all now ? This eludes me..

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

It means that you cannot really refuse updates. You need to install them all without having the chance to opt some of them out. Also, the only thing you can control basically is the time at which your computer will restart after the updates are installed, that's it.

unite_blue.png

#14 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

No Problems, I think (thanks for quick reply).

It just means that Microsoft has taken away the option of Important and Optional updates. They now become installed even if they are wrong, like so many have been in the, even Windows 8.1 Important updates. This may be a good thing, but it has taken the optional ones fully out.

I had used (do not laugh) MSE and Defender, with success in all my systems (a total of 5 varying units ) but needed to remember to install all of those updates, and I still intend to use the current upgraded versions of whatever it will be called.

Looks like it just means more reading on the subject.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials are good. It's just that their detection rate is below the other Antivirus companies, hence why I favor other free products (or paid) before them. This being said, I'm a person who firmly believe that if you take care of your system properly, it'll not be broken by Windows Update. Trust me, I've installed all of them, even some that broke specific system (like the one with Kaspersky products and I had Kaspersky Internet Security at the time) and never had a single issue with them. If you ever have issues with Windows Update, you can always seek assistance here or in the Windows Update section of Sysnative anyway :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users