Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading an old school computer to gaming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Majis

Majis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hello everybody, I'm a student from Finland and just registered to your site.

My cousin have dreamed of a computer of his own but because he is young (14-years old), he doesn't have the required funds to buy an expensive gaming computer. I wanted to help him with his problem and came up with an idea. I have an old school computer which i have gotten free, my ex-GPU and ex-power core.

Here is the current build:

Asus M2N MX SE PLUS

CHIEFTEC Power Source max output 450W
http://www.pc-specs.com/psu/Chieftec/Chieftec_GPA-450S8_450W/73

2G RAM Kingston KVR
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=kvr667d2n5/2g

2G RAM Kingston KVR
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=kvr667d2n5/2g

The Hard disk is only 80gt and the computer doesn't have fans in it so he have to buy them. I have now succeed in playing Age of empires 3 and CS GO okay but today the processor went up to 90 Celsius and shut down. So I wonder that is The Athlon processor capable enough to keep up with my GPU, and is the motherboard okay. If the Processor is ok, could i solve the heating problem just by buying the fans?

My cousin loves Aoe3, CS, Battle Field, skyrim and Total War games.

Edited by Majis, 12 August 2015 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

The fans will probably help but if it is the stock AM2 cooler on the Processor you may want to get an aftermarket heatsink that will cool the cpu better.  And replace the thermal compound.  The GPU is okay but if  you want to upgrade to a better performer a GTX 750Ti would be a noticeable upgrade.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 12 August 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:33 AM

+1 on the GTX 750 Ti. It's a great GPU that is cheap, powerful, and is powered solely by the PCIe port. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Majis

Majis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

That sounds really good : ) replacing the cooler shouldn't be too expensive so if the CPU can keep up with the GPU everything should be fine. The computer seemed to be capable to run games smoothly apart from shutting down time to time.

And I can tell my cousin about the GTX 750Ti too, because after he gets his first summer job I bet he is going to upgrade his computer to whole new level. Thanks for your advices!

+1 on the GTX 750 Ti. It's a great GPU that is cheap, powerful, and is powered solely by the PCIe port.  :)

You are right. It looked really cheap : O But can that processor handle 750Ti? I think he doesn't have the funds to upgrade both of them.

Edited by Majis, 12 August 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

It would but it may bottleneck unless you upgrade the CPU.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 Majis

Majis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:19 AM

It would but it may bottleneck unless you upgrade the CPU.

I thought the same... But thanks for your advices. They have really helped a lot.

#7 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

That machine cannot handle battle field series, you need a minimum of 4 cores, if you can get a used am3/+  motherboard, cpu plus ram from ebay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users