Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 10 (updated to from 8) license key wont work

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jako6569

jako6569

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

Just installed Win 10 from the windows file from windows (via usb). The installation worked fine until i neede to type in my license key from my windows 8 oem cd. Windows wont accept the license key. what should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Have you ever used the key from the windows 8 CD before?

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:24 AM

Hi jako6569 :)

From what I understand, you created a bootable USB media with the Windows 10 .iso, launched it via setup.exe and proceeded to install it, is that right?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 jako6569

jako6569
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

yeah. and when i

Have you ever used the key from the windows 8 CD before?

i installed windows 8 with that disk on the comoyter. then i tried to do the update to win 10 but it stopped at 36 % 3 times so i decided to use the iso

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

What error code are you getting when you input your product key?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:21 AM

Win 8 or 8.1 ?

#7 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Well first of all I dont think its possible to use a 8 key with windows 10 as they are totally different operating systems.  yes I know you can upgrade from 8 but when activating it I dont think you can stick in a 8 key for a clean install.  Have you formatted the disks yet on the computer that has windows 8 on it?  Basically do you still have windows 8 installed?  If you do we can proceed.  

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

You can use a Windows 8 product key for a clean installation of Windows 10, assuming you already upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 once and that key was converted to be used for Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#9 Force-IX

Force-IX

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

The answers given by others here are correct.  You can't do a clean install of W10 with a W8 key.

You're going to need to reinstall Windows 8 with that product key.  Also likely you will have to download all of the important and critical updates through Windows Update before the "Get Windows 10" message appears.

You download the upgrade to W10 through Windows Update and install it over your Windows 8.  Once it's activated, Microsoft retains the information on your system and you should be able to do a clean install on Windows 10 without the need for a product key.

Edited by Force-IX, 12 August 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

You're going to need to reinstall Windows 8 with that product key. Also likely you will have to download all of the important and critical updates through Windows Update before the "Get Windows 10" message appears.

It depends. When I clean installed my Windows 8.1 (on my computer and VMs), at the last configuration step, it offered me the upgrade to Windows 10. Once you accept, it starts downloading it from Windows Update and notifies you once it's ready. It doesn't install any updates prior to that.

unite_blue.png

#11 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:51 PM

Exactly where did you download the WinX ISO file from???

I haven't done anything with Win8/Win8.1-->WinX upgrades yet, as I don't own a legit Win8/8.1 license (media+key).  Other Insiders on other Tech Forums I am on concur with this diagnosis--you can't upgrade to WinX directly from 8, you have to upgrade to 8.1 first. 

If we find you downloaded your WinX ISO file from a legit source, then I would suggest you update your system to 8.1 (which is not always easy), and then re-attempt your WinX upgrade again. 

Prior to continuing any more WinX upgrade attempts it would be really good if you've taken the time to BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SUCH AS DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, E-MAILS TO EXTERNAL MEDIA FIRST!!!

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Someone succeeded to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 directly however. So it's possible.

unite_blue.png

#13 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

@Aura: Wow! Ok. Thanks!  that's really good to know that someone else has done it.  Now I guess I'll have to step up and buy a Win8 license+key to repeat this and verify.  Maybe I can get one of my Customers to pay for it!!  :grinner:  

<<<BBJ>>>

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

I could also try to create a Windows 8 VM and see how it goes. Might be faster that way.

unite_blue.png

#15 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

A very good idea indeed. :thumbup2:   I downloaded VMware last week, but found out that it takes 40GB to run the session, and my Vista boot drive is so full I don't have room to run it without compromising my Vista setup.  I'll need to wait to get a larger drive (I have 500GB now) like a 1TB or larger drive and clone my current image over and then play around with it.  I've noticed several other forum folks using this method.  It's still not as reliable as an old fashioned true hardware install on dedicated Windows C: boot drive, but it's worth playing around with for sure.  I will problably try on one of my TP test machine drives, and they have lots of space, though they are smaller drives, but don't have all my daily driver junk clogging them up. 

I also have a Win8 preview ISO disc I created a couple of years back, but like I said upgrades without Activating license key are still kind of "iffy", so when I get around to buying a Win8 key, I can test it.  I have run into disparate results years ago when using VMware back in the XP days with the licensings.  So, when you'd run the XP upgrade (say on a Win2k or Win98SE machine) in VMware, it would all work until you tried to Activate the XP within the VMware session with a valid key.  Upgrade would fail then in VMware session.  Taking the same PC and putting in a wiped but functional hdd, and attempting the install or upgrade, would work with the very same license key.  My conclusion was that the VMware 10 years ago or more couldn't do virtual-session OS activation even with a known valid key.  Same PC running standard mode would Activate just fine.  This caused me not to use it for OS platform and testing purposes.  Perhaps they have since resolved those problems, and that's worth looking into. 

Cheers!
<<<BBJ>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 18 August 2015 - 02:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users