Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi keeps disconnecting and reconnecting automaticaly

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AscendingFury

AscendingFury

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hi, so basicaly my problem is stated in the title, I've tried everything, disabled the auto channel on router and fixed it on 3-7, checked powersaving and checked wifi card to be used at max performance even on battery, i even enabled ECN and congestion control in win7 and used Wi-fi Optimizer and i still couldn't pin point the issue.

According to it the signal is "Excelent" yet when i need it to be stable it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting automatically almost with a pace, i can't tell what may be causing this, i also disabled bluetooth.

Edit: I live in the outskirts and I used Xirrus Wi-fi Inspector to see if there are any other connections that could jam or overlap and mine is the only one, so it's not that.

Edited by AscendingFury, 12 August 2015 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

[guess]

Have you checked power and heat? If it is dropping under load it could be either one.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

Are there any other computers using the router?

Try connecting to the router with a Ethernet cable to make sure there isn't a problem with the router.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

I had this problem on an old XP computer and the only way I was able to resolve it was to reset Winsock, Tcp/IP, and reinstall the wireless driver. I do know that sometimes intel wireless drivers can get wonky. They usually are good at updating the wireless drivers on their newer chipsets.

Right click the Wireless driver in Device Manager, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 August 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#5 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

Try using a direct cable from the router to your device. It is more reliable than connecting it as a wireless connection.

#6 AscendingFury

AscendingFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

The ethernet port on my f550jk is laughable, just search on youtube -  ethernet port 550j laptop and you will see that Asus did a terrible job at designing it.

Wifi drops even when there are no other devices using it, it does seem to drop more often when i'm gaming a bit or maybe that's just when i notice it the most.

The Ralink driver is the one from the Asus website that they link for my model.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

Just try the Ethernet cable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

It's possible Asus is still linking an older Ralink driver. The latest ones are dated may and june of this year but I don't know your chipset. That is why I asked for the Vendor and Device ID in Device Manager.

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 August 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#9 AscendingFury

AscendingFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_3290&SUBSYS_601011AD&REV_00

Date 4/9/2014

Driver version 5.0.46.0

It may be a bit outdated, what i've read elsewhere is that latest may not be most compatible so i left it be but i guess i can always roll back to it if it fails.

And as my PC has no drops with the ethernet cable it is most probable that with lan plugged this would have no problems also but that would mean to leave it fixed in one place.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

Unfortunately the driver is not available on the Ralink driver site. According to the Device ID it is a

Chip Number: 1010 Chip Description: 802.11n Bluetooth 4.0

The wireless adapter is also bluetooth. You are going to have to keep the driver you have or get a USB wireless adapter like this one.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

Just purchase a USB dongle and use it.  You can purchase one for about $12.00 US.

The reviews I read on Asus's  wifi adapters were not very kind.

#12 AscendingFury

AscendingFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:51 AM

[Solved] By disabling IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6)  and file and printer sharing for microsoft windows in the wireless network connection properties, ofc it still fluctuates a bit being wifi but seems rather reliable for now, I don't actually know if this alone has solved it or a combo of the above mentioned alterations, btw turned off Congestion Control since it seems to dedicate all bandwidth to one single app not allowing much multitasking on the bandwidth.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for posting an update and the solution to your issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users