Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows desktop(explorer.exe) crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mipstien

mipstien

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:31 AM

Windows 7 > 10 with the media creation tool this time. although i have done it through the windows icon and windows update as well at least 2 times per each. no known virus or malware on it currently. cleaned recently very well. 
Windows 7 ran pretty good. i had trouble installing flash it causes the video card to act strangely so that was removed. There is no blue screen's due to this explorer.exe crash and when I try to load it up you have about 5-10 seconds before it disappears again. No errors or any noises. Just goes away. I have started up with every possible safe mode combination and msconfig combination trying to get something to show. 
Also when 10 is installing there is a text that shows up during the install and it does indicate that windows 10 is taking longer than expected.

Computer Type Laptop 
System Manufacturer/Model Number Dell/Alienware m17x 
OS 10 
CPU i7-2630QM 
Memory 8GB 
Graphics Card 6870M and Intel HD 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:08 AM

Can you get into Windows?  If so, for how long

Can you restart explorer after it crashes (from Task Manager)?

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports (if you are able to generate them):

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mipstien

mipstien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

i can get into windows but explorer.exe just poofs about 10 seconds after you see it. if i restart it in task manager it does the same thing. i can get into safe mode and diagnostic mode and both do the same thing regardless of the settings i use to get there.

Attached Files

#4 mipstien

mipstien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

i went through a lot of the information and checked a few things while purposely letting explorer.exe crash over and over again. i believe i found my issue was that the IDT audio software installed was conflicting with explorer. uninstalled that and the computer seems like its working. This was a rather quick test. i need to install drivers as well, it seems.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Is the system working well for you?

I did see the IDT audio software in the reports - did fixing that fix your problems?

Numerous disk errors in the Admin log file.

Please run CHKDSK /F /R from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt (you'll likely have to reboot to run the test - so consent to it when/if the system asks for it)

Also, please run a free hard drive diagnostic:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

The Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver stopped abnormally (according to the perfmon report).  Try installing the latest available version from the Alienware site.

I've seen a lot of problems with slow Win10 systems - and most times the RST drivers are very old (2010 or so).  If Alienware doesn't have a Win10 version - then install it using Compatibility Mode for the version you're using.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A04 dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

These drivers aren't installed.  Please install the latest, Win10 compatible versions for your system.  If Win10 versions aren't available, try the latest one's in Compatibility Mode:

Not Available    ACPI\CPL0002\2&DABA3FF&1    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ACPI\SMO8800\1    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The first device is most likely your On Screen Display (OSD) driver from Compal (should be on the Alienware website)

The second device is most likely the hard drive shock sensor (Free Fall Sensor).

There are 4 ApphelpHardBlock errors in the WER section of MSINFO32.
I suspect that this means that you have incompatible software installed.
Please check your older software for compatibility with this version of Windows.

Edited by usasma, 15 August 2015 - 06:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users