Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 on tablet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RRguy

RRguy

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

I have a tablet running Windows 8.1.  The MS icon appeared on my taskbar so I assumed that it was compatable.  Yesterday I received the notice that Windows 10 was ready for download.  After I started it, the download ran for over five hours and never completed.  I had to shut down.

My laptop took about 1 1/2 hrs. for the entire process, including download and install, and it works like a champ.  Would this indicate that my tablet may not be compatable?  Should I discontinue the download and keep 8.1?

I have a cheap, one month old 8" tablet with the following specs.

Toshiba Encore2
Processor: 1.33GHz
HD: 25 GB, 16.1 GB free
RAM:  1 GB
OS 32-bit, X-64 based processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:09 AM

Your tablet looks like that minimum RAM available. So it will be not work Windows 10 correctly. So it’s take too much time. Also check your tablet current running Windows 8.1 latest version then you will be automatically update to windows 10. Choose automatic update on your tablet. It will be install later first download it and install on your tablet later

#3 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.  It was one of the cheapest tablets I could find.  I don't do much surfing except to update.  I usually only use it offline when I need portability.  I have Windows 8.1 which should be supported for some time.

Thanks, reckonankit

Edited by RRguy, 12 August 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#4 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:56 PM

Ooooops! Your system specifications are not enough to use windows 10. I suggest you to keep going with previous versions to avoid any discrepancies.

#5 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like good advice.

Thanks

Edited by RRguy, 12 August 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#6 RRguy

RRguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:09 AM

It turns out that I couldn't stop the download even after shutdown and restart.  Reports of different sources from a Google search said that, once the upgrade process starts, it can't be stopped.  They said however that Windows 10 comes with a "Go back to Windows 8.1" tool, but it must be used within 30 days.  I decided to try it again.  This time It started downloading and and, in under two hours, I had Windows 10 on my tablet.  It seems to be working though less user-friendly on the tablet than my laptop.  I have 10 GB of free space left compared to 16 GB before.  I would get back some space after 30 days when 8.1 is removed completely.  I was still considering going back to Windows 8.1, but another search yeilded results that said some attempts to go back resulted in unusable computers.  I can live with Windows 10 on my cheap tablet if I have to.  I don't know if I should try to go back or not.  Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users