Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple GPU/Thermal Paste Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nightrebel

Nightrebel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

If there is thermal paste located around these areas of the GPU... Could this potentially cause problems to the GPU...

55jNzQA.png

The reason I ask is because when I was cleaning out the dust from my laptop... I lifted the heatsink from the GPU and CPU... I notice on the Gpu that the thermal paste was spread across the GPU like this:

usZMJFC.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

Probably... But you are only supposed to apply a little dab of thermal paste in the middle of the GPU (black square) so when the heat sink is placed back on it spreads out just enough to cover the black area but doesn't overflow into the green area.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Nightrebel

Nightrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

Yeah, it was like that. I didn't apply any thermal paste to the heat sink yet.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

This page might help: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10418-how-to-change-your-gpus-thermal-paste-with-pictures/

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

You are right, there should be no thermal paste on the small IC's  Clean it off really good with some denatured alcohol and use a coffee filter to rub it dry and clean let it sit and dry for awhile. Clean and dry the base of the heatsink the same way. 

When applying the new thermal compound, put a small rice sized amount on the top of the cpu chip,  Press the heatsink down into position but don't lock it down yet.  Take the heatsink back off and rub the thermal compound into the base of the heatsink with another coffee filter.  This will fill any microscopic holes in the heatsink that you cannot see.  Leave the compound on the cpu chip alone.  Then place a smaller (half rice size dab) of thermal compound back onto the cpu chip. Press the heatsink back into position and lock it down.  This is the procedure I use when building a pc.  Coffee filters are inexpensive and leave no residue behind.

Hope that helps !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users