Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Account - Broke Remote Desktop (& the Store)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

Posting here to help others hopefully spend less time figuring this out.

I had some issues where remote desktop stopped working.  I could connect, but it would not accept my username password.  Everything looked OK...the user had access, remote desktop was enabled, etc.  It turns out that Windows 10 merged my local computer account with my Microsoft account.  It resulted in Store errors ("Something went wrong on our end") and Remote Desktop not accepting my password.  I tried using my local password, my Microsoft password, etc.  Nothing worked.  I tried changing my username...had to restore the system since it fully deleted it after letting me change it.  I gave up Googling for the remote desktop and decided to test with the Windows Remote Desktop app in the Store to see if it was the iOS version.  I got the store error and went on a tangent trying to resolve that.  Lo and behold, I discovered the fix here that resolved both issues:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/getting-error-message-try-again-later-something/c59e1d32-e979-4906-ae8b-85396d51480b?page=2

In the end, the simple solution is to make the account a local account. You'll have to sign back into your Microsoft account again, but RD and the Store both work great!

-etavares

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MicroAcres

MicroAcres

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

Thanks. This helped me greatly with a client problem!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users