Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerns over svchost.exe processes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

Hello!

I have a concern about one of the svchost.exe processes on my laptop. This is the first time I have ever seen it act this way. I noticed that one of them was hogging a lot of memory and CPU. I tried to get it check for Windows Updates, but it seemed to be taking a very long time. So I unhooked the Internet and noticed that it was continuing to check, even though it couldn't have been with no Internet connection.

So I restarted my computer. CPU and memory look fine. I try to check for Windows Updates again and the same thing happens. But even though I had unhooked the Internet again, Windows Updates had managed to find 24 updates for me after a very long time of checking.

So I went ahead and proceeded with the updates. I checked up on the updates some minutes later and noticed that it had downloaded 0% and stayed this way for about an hour until it suddenly jumped up to 50% and went on with installation.

I also checked on Google about svchost and CPU/memory and they all talked about the computer being slow, but my computer isn't slow. The Internet works fine, everything loads fine. No sloweness except for Windows Update.

So what is this about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:57 AM

Hi a.h.h.10:

Other Vista users have reported similar issues with Windows Update and high CPU usage by svchost.exe for the August 2015 Patch Tuesday updates - see my comments and links to other threads in YourBestFriend's thread Svchost High Memory Usage.

According to posts <here> in the Sysinternals forum by moderator MagicAndre1981, the problem might be related to the slower CPUs and limited amounts of RAM in older computers that would typically be running Vista.  Microsoft issued a patch for the Windows Update client (KB3050265) in June 2015 for Windows 7 users with limited RAM but didn't push a similar patch to Vista machines.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 40.0.2 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 24 August 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#3 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hi a.h.h.10:

Other Vista users have reported similar issues with Windows Update and high CPU usage by svchost.exe for the August 2015 Patch Tuesday updates - see my comments and links to other threads in YourBestFriend's thread Svchost High Memory Usage.

According to posts <here> in the Sysinternals forum by moderator MagicAndre1981, the problem might be related to the slower CPUs and limited amounts of RAM in older computers that would typically be running Vista.  Microsoft issued a patch for the Windows Update client (KB3050265) in June 2015 for Windows 7 users with limited RAM but didn't push a similar patch to Vista machines.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 40.0.2 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Thanks for that info.

I was scared that something was wrong with my computer. I didn't know other users experienced the same exact thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users