Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Patching help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Meatballs12

Meatballs12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

To make a long story short, I'm a helpdesk technician filling in for a system administrator. I've been tasked with patching a system and I don't know how. There's only a couple guys with IT experience and they aren't much help and my company doesn't seem to understand the severity of my claims. It's a windows 7 system and I have a list of 300 patches/STIGs that need to start being installed immediately. I must not be using the corrects terms because I find little online. I was told to go to the MS website and download them from there, but I don't understand what I'm actually looking for. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

Ummm, that's what Windows update is for... assuming the "patches" are for Windows.

Can you expand a little? Are they Windows updates? Or are the updates for 3rd party applications?

How did you come by the information that you need to install these  "patches".

#3 Meatballs12

Meatballs12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

They are mostly windows updates and I'm not sure if they are third party applications. It's a simulator and its huge. Linux and windows machines, but I want to do one thing at a time and I assumed windows was easier since I'm more familiar. I was told my an IA who said they were based off last months scans and that there are 1100 total patches, but 300 low and medium need to be installed now. I was given spreadsheet that consists of 4 things. 1) source of discovery 2)test ID or threat IDs which seem to consist of 5 digit numbers 3) description of vulnerability/weakness ( one says ms13-010 vulnerabilities in vector markup language... Ending with 2797052 4) impact to system

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:51 PM

I don't want to offer advice on what to do with a multi OS system. I cannot possibly know the specifics or understand the implications of updating individual components over the internet like this.

Sorry

TsVk!

Edited by TsVk!, 11 August 2015 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users