Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a new laptop for my wife !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

The title isn't strictly correct - basically I want her laptop because it is about the newest laptop ( five years old, 32 bit Win 7) that will run some ancient 16 bit software I need for maintenance purposes !

Must haves -  Win 8.1; mininum 4GB RAM; HDMI; 1 x USB 3; mininum 15.6" screen; mininum 500GB HD; CD/DVD drive

Nice to have -  Full size keypad

Uses -  Apart from general purpose functions it will be used most intensively for photo processing using software similar to Photoshop - from time to time we take a lot of photos !

Budget -  up to about £UK 350, less would be nice, more, maybe

Make -  really not fussy.

We currently own, or are in my control as sysadmin, an elderly Toshiba Satellite (slow as treacle !), an Asus notebook, a Fujitsu Amilo (my wife's current machine) and a self-built desktop. I have also some familiarity with the Sony Vaio range. To date the Toshiba, the Asus and the Fujitsu have never given any trouble.

Any and all advice and suggestions welcomed.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

Lenovo laptops are usually very reliable. Here's one: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series/100-15-inch/

Looking at the specs of the model options, I would choose the $370 one because it has the most value for what you get.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

SO.. heres my suggestion Asus Transformer.

It may be a bit more than you want to spend but at least i'll sleep good at night knowing I recommended a good system. LOL

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

I'm grateful for the replies received to date but it has to be said that I have serious reservations about the Lenovo range because of privacy concerns and while the ASUS appears a pretty good laptop it has two problems (1) that particular model does not appear to be available in the UK and Amazon (US) will not ship outwith the USA and, (2) it doen't have an optical drive.

Any more suggestions ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

If you have a Staples near, they usually offer good deals. I bought 3 computers from Staples here in the U.S. and was able to get a good deal on each because were end of model sales. You might be able to get a better deal doing a walk-in vs online.

http://www.staples.co.uk/laptop-computers/cbk/550.html

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

Amazon has some of the best prices for anything, walk-in or not.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

Thanks to all, this requirement is now satisfied !

She will have it in her hot and sweaty hands as soon as I beat it into submission - ie finish removing the crapware, installing the software she wants and uses, installing the software she needs (security !) and re-instating all her data.

I took JohnC's advice and took a trip along the motorway to my local Staples. Finished up dithering between an Acer and a Toshiba and eventually settled on the Toshiba, as much as anything on the reliability record of our previous one. It's 10 years old, slow as treacle on a frosty morning, but has never failed yet. If this one does as well I won't complain.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users